Part 2

In the morning you wake up to a pounding on the door, it's the moving company with all your furniture. And you realize that it is not the morning, your family has been up for hours. As soon as you go downstairs they are commenting on the fact that you slept until noon. Within a couple hours all the furniture is moved into the house and the moving company is receiving a hefty paycheck from your dad.

Your room feels safer now. Your bed is pushed against the wall farthest from the door, the bookshelf tucked in the corner beside it and the dresser pushed against the end of the bed. There are boxes all over the previously empty space on the floor, and you know that you'll be spending all day unpacking.

Starting with your boxes of clothes, you decide which drawer will have what in it and then spend at least two hours putting everything into your dresser and the open closet.

4 pm.

You then unpack your books, filling your bookshelf. Along with a couple candles, figurines, a stuffed animal a boy had won you at a carnival.

6 pm. 

When everything is unpacked and you go downstairs, your parents are sitting on the couch. The TV is on, probably watching the news or something. You're honestly surprised the couple from before isn't over, you're parents always were the type to cling to any sort of conversation with anyone other than their kids. You haven't had a sit-down conversation with them since your sister was born.

They aren't even talking to each other. Your mother has a glass of wine in her hand, half full, and you're not surprised. Just curious how she managed to find a bottle of wine so quickly. And your dad is reading the TV guide, you can't imagine how that is more interesting than what your mother has to say. But neither one of them seems bothered by the silence.

"Did they unpack the bikes?" Your parents look up, startled by your voice. Clearly absorbed by the background noise of the TV.

Your dad is silent for a minute, thinking, and then eventually he answers your question, "Yeah, they're in the backyard, by the shed I think."

"Kay, I'm gonna go for a bike ride."

"You aren't hungry?" Your mom motions to the counter, a glass pan full of half eaten lasagna is sitting out. You would've eaten it, but you're uninterested by the thought of cold lasagna. You're also not in the mood to sit in the kitchen alone, why didn't they just call you down when the rest of them ate.

"No, not right now."

You leave before your mother can protest. Following where your father said the bikes would be, you dig yours out of the pile, it makes you question why your parents haven't sold half of them. You and your siblings were the only one who used them, but there were at least seven bikes in the pile. How did that equation work. Finally you tug it out, taking off down the alley with heavy breaths.

It's just to take your mind off things, at least that's what you're telling yourself. But you know it's not true by the way your head swivels around in search of the boy on the bike. You know he lives on the corner, and you hate that you're actively searching for him. Hoping he'll be out in his backyard.

The rocks skid around under the tires of your bike as you slow down subconsciously, eyes scanning his backyard. You feel like a creep, you might be. You're just curious.

But then you see him. He's jumping on a trampoline with who you assume is his younger sister, a blond girl half his size. You don't realise you've made a full stop, a smile on your face. It's a cute exchange, one that you haven't experienced with either one of your siblings since you were at least 14. Years ago.