𝟎𝟐𝟖 ― grovel

ELLIE'S MIND goes completely blank

ELLIE'S MIND goes completely blank. She turns to Soap who gives her a wink, standing and going to throw his trash away. He heard. He heard it all.

Something about that makes her uneasy. Not that she doesn't want him to know, but what if he somehow overheard about Graves? That would be a disaster. But she knows he didn't. He would be in a different mood if he knew.

Ellie turns, looking across the fire and seeing Ghost watching her. His expression is unreadable as he slow chews his food, half of the balaclava raises while he eats. She can't help but look at his exposed lips.

His tongue quickly sticks out and wets them, Ellie focusing back on her food. She can't keep watching him. She thinks she might go crazy. Scarfing down her food, Ellie stands and dumps the trash, quickly heading back to their tent.

"Schatz."

She stops, turning and seeing König standing a few yards away, propped against the side of the truck. He waves at her.

"Hey, König," Ellie replies, waving back at him.

"Can I speak to you for a moment, ja?"

She turns to the fire, it being a good distance away. Ghost told her he didn't want her alone with him. She doesn't think this technically counts. Right? They're in an open space.

She goes to him, craning her neck to look at him, even though he's lowered a bit with his relaxed position. "What's up?"

"You feeling well?"

She blinks. "Yes. I am."

"You scared me."

"I'm sorry." Ellie sighs, rubbing her hands down her face. "I was silly for letting him get to me. It's nothing. Truly."

"He should pay for that."

Her face pales. "It's okay, König. Besides, I think Ghost feels the same way. I appreciate you two looking after me, but it's really not that big of a deal."

"But it is." His tone is solemn. "Ghost is taking it easy on the schwein."

Ellie stills. "I hardly think that's true, König."

"He's weak, Ellie. Always has been. It's why we can't work together. This," he says, gesturing to the group, "is a half-decent attempt at peace by Laswell. KorTac doesn't work with SpecGru. We are simply... better."

He steps forward, leaning away from the truck. Ellie stands her ground.

"You should be on a real team. We have fun, we make good money, we eliminate real threats. Not chasing around empty leads. You should come join us, Ellie. You'd fit in just fine."

She can't believe it. "You're offering me a job?"

"Ja. Aksel wanted me to talk to you, offer it to you. I agree with him and Roze. You should be with us. Not them."