Off to Siberia

In his brief time on planet Earth, Tails had met a few critical observations. The animals in this world tended to walk on all fours. The humans left lights on all night in a stunning waste of energy. And for some reason, even people with a lot of friends needed space to be alone. That last one was the hardest idea to parse.

But that's just the kind of place Sonic and Angel had let him: a secret enclave. A world away from the world. Something he called Wade's garage. Midnight has fallen as the three creatures head into the warmth of their old friend's garage.

"Uh, Sonic, Angel? Where are we?" Tails asked, confused.

"Welcome to the Wadecave!" Wade said. "At least, that's what I would say to a woman that's not my mom."

Tails hid behind his heroes, still shy as Angel comforted him. Sonic seemed to treat the native humans so kind and it was clear the fox was going to need a feel of approach to repair his connection to this world.

"Wade, focus," Sonic told him. "We need to figure out why Knuckles thinks I'm the key to finding the Master Emerald, and why did he mention Longclaw?"

"There must be a connection," Tails recalled.

"But I still don't understand why Knuckles need the Emerald," Angel thought. "And why did he call you Longclaw's apprentice?"

For a moment, Sonic's eyes went wide. "Wait a minute, there is."

He took out the map out of his satchel and spread it across the makeshift table in the center of the room. In the light, the fox could see its stated purpose: pictures of worlds within worlds. Every habitable planet on this side of the universe was represented by visual markers great looking at these would allow anyone who bore rings to teleport across the stars. It could have helped Tails when he was searching for Sonic, but his tag had always been the fox's strong suit and he knew he could put that to good use.

"There's an Emerald on the map Longclaw gave me. I never knew what it meant before."

"It's more than that," Angel leaned in close to examine some shimmering ancient writing along the map's edge.

"Something's happening," Tails gasped.

The map glows as the black outlines turn green and shut the lights off. It was as if they were charging ancient electrical currents embedded in the paper. Looking at her back, Angel saw that her tribal mark started to glow blue. Sonic drops the map and it falls to the floor as green smoke surrounds it and Angel's mark glows even brightly to connect the circuits. Particles form the shape of an owl into the air above their heads and what Sonic saw had really missed her his whole life as a child.

"Longclaw?" Sonic gasped in an awed tone.

"Hello, Sonic," the wise owl began. "If you're watching this, then something has happened to me and I pray that you've made it to Earth unharmed. I'd hoped to tell you this story when you were older, but it appears fate has chosen a different path. Ages ago, a fearsome group of warriors known as the Echidna gathered the seven Chaos Emeralds, gems of extraordinary power in their quest for strength, they combined them with the Master Emerald, creating the most Unstoppable weapon ever created. with this power, a single warrior could defeat entire armies. It applies what's in your heart, good or evil. It turns thoughts into reality. Believing no one should have that power, my ancestors stole the emerald and hid it. The secret of its location was passed down all right generation to generation, hero to hero. I am all that remains of my order. This world has been chosen for a very important reason. It's the secret location of the Master Emerald. The emerald has the power to turn thoughts into reality."