Chapter 9

Brixlee barely spoke a word as Cole cleaned her hand, the cut not as deep or bad as she thought. She refused to go to the hospital, not wanting her killers to be able to track her there, or for the police to bring her into protective custody. She hated being in the spotlight, and even though they needed to catch these people, she was too frightened to step forward. Ever since the events of her brother's death, hospitals scared her. She lost him there and it was always a reminder.

She removed her clothes and stepped into the shower, paying no mind if Cole was joining her or not. She needed the feeling of her killer's hands off her body. The warm water kissed her skin as she tried to hide her tears within the falling water. All that went through her mind was, who on earth would want me dead? She was nothing but kind to everyone she ever met, and always thoughtful.

Adam's face kept circling her mind, and she wondered how Emmanuella knew he got out of jail before Brixlee. Perhaps the police were hiding something and it would explain why they were all ruled as accidental deaths or overdoses. This got Brixlee thinking that Emmanuella might be on to something with her research about the secret society.

As she took a shaky breath, Cole stripped as well, taking a washcloth and standing under the water with her. A soft kiss was placed on her shoulder, startling her, and causing her to jump and move away from him.

"It's just me," he said softly, taking her hand.

"Sorry, I—"

"Don't apologize," he stated, running his fingers through her hair before pulling her to him. She shook her head quickly, trying to turn away from him so he wouldn't see her cry, but he wouldn't let her go. Those sea-green eyes of his studied her with such pity in them, such worry and concern. She hated that look, but loved the worry he had for her because it made her realize this thing between them was real.

"Why is this happening to me?" she whispered.

"Are you sure it wasn't Adam who did this today?" Cole asked.

"I'm sure," she replied. "This guy had brown hair and Adam's is blonde."

"I still can't believe the cops are ruling all these killings as drug overdoses. The fuck are they hiding?" Cole said angrily.

"Maybe this theory that Emmanuella was talking about isn't just a theory. Maybe she's onto something," she considered.

Cole scoffed, shaking his head and looking away from her. "Who knows."

"I'm sorry I'm dragging this bullshit into your life," she said, feeling the need to apologize.

"What? No! No, baby, don't apologize for this. I'd protect you even if we weren't doing what we're doing," he reassured her.

"I just—I usually don't have all this chaos surrounding me," she stated, shrugging a shoulder.

He kissed her forehead. "Whatever the fuck is going on, it's not your fault. We'll figure this out, okay?"

She let out a shuddered breath and glanced away from him. "Yeah."

"You wanna maybe get out of town for a bit? Find a place by the water and just stay away from all the madness?" Cole suggested, reading her mind.

"Making plans like we're some kind of couple," she joked, making Cole smile to see her saddened face brighten up for a moment.

"Just two people taking a trip together," he teased, leaning his forehead on hers as the water fell upon them.

"What if they follow us out there?" she worried.

"They won't," he responded.

"How can you be so sure?" she asked.