Chapter 8

The day came when Eira was able to leave the hospital. During that time, they came up with a plan. Eira and Hunter would go to Eira's home and confront Griselda there. Florian and Ferdinand would be outside ready to go in if anything happened. Eira was attached with a wire to catch any and all audio. Eira wanted to wait until her brothers were asleep before approaching. She didn't want any harm to come to them.

Eira felt her heart pounding in her chest as she approached the elegant mansion. The moon cast an ethereal glow on the sprawling garden, its hushed whispers accompanied by the distant rustling of leaves. The wind carried an air of secrecy, mirroring the trepidation that gripped Eira's very core. 

She hesitated briefly at the intricately designed wrought iron gate, her hand reaching out to grasp it. The metal felt cold against her trembling fingers. She shivered and Hunter grabbed her other hand. "I'm with you Snow. Remember that Florian and Ferdinand are behind us. We got you."

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, Eira pushed open the gate. Hunter and her walked up the cobblestone path that led to the imposing front door. As they got there the door swung open before Eira even had the chance to knock. Griselda stood before her, cloaked in a flowing ebony gown that accentuated her graceful figure. Her silver hair cascaded in loose waves, framing an ageless face that betrayed no emotion except for a quick expression of surprise that went away as soon as it appeared.

"Eira, they told me you had died. It's such a joy to see you alive," Griselda stated with no emotion.

"Why?" Eira's voice trembled with a mix of anger and hurt. "Why did you try to kill me, Griselda?"

"Kill you? My dear girl, I have no idea what you are talking about. Why would I want to kill my stepdaughter? I think that academy has made you mad."

"Oh cut the shit Griselda, we both know you've never liked me. I just want answers. Give me the answers I seek than I will leave and never bother you again."

"You were always meant to be a sacrifice, Eira. A pawn in a grand game. I, on the other hand, was destined for greatness."

Eira raised her voice, "What did I ever do to you?"

Griselda's face hardened, her tone cold and calculated. "It was necessary for me to eliminate any obstacles in my path. Including you."

"What are you hoping to achieve? How am I obstacle?" Eira seethed. Hunter squeezed her hand giving her reassurance. A surge of fury coursed through Eira's veins, fueling her determination. "Regardless you failed, Griselda. I'm still here, standing before you. And I won't let you get away with what you've done."

Griselda's eyes gleamed with a mix of amusement and malice. "Oh, my dear Eira, you underestimate me. Your survival is nothing more than a temporary inconvenience. There are other ways to get rid of people."

"If you think for one moment that I will let you continue Griselda, you are gravely mistaken. I will bring you to justice, no matter the cost."

Griselda's laughter echoed through the room, a haunting sound that chilled Eira to the bone. "With what proof? You've always been blinded by your own illusions of righteousness. But now, it's time for you to face the truth. There is nothing you can do to stop me. I want you gone and gone you shall be. The apple was suppose to be a painless death. Slow and steady but now I see that you need more. Something more painful." 

"We got her Eira," Florian's voice came over her ear piece. "I have patched in the local PD and they say this is enough to charge her with attempted murder. You did it beautiful."

Eira smirked and winked at Hunter, "Well too bad you won't be around to implement that plan."

"What do you mean?"