Chapter 9

Gabriella POV.

"You may run away today but you will never escape from me!" the spirit said as it laughed.

"Gosh, was that spirit sent by the devil to torture us?" Abigael said.

We continued running without looking back for a few minutes.

"What are you girls doing here at this hour?" We heard someone's voice and we stopped.

I looked at the surroundings. The ground was filled with different kinds of flowers and dried leaves. There was a cemented floor which had cracks and I knew that it had been years since it was built.

"Aren't they coming from the direction we heard the hissing of snakes?" a woman asked.

"The cracking of the crack?"

"The buzzing of the locusts?"

The women chipped in one after the other making me roll my eyes.

"What happened to Eleanor and Sharon?" an angry voice asked, making me take some steps back since I have never had someone use that tone in my presence.

"Uhm..."

"Grandma Ruth. You know I don't know how to use powers apart from controlling fire," Sharon said innocently.

I heard the urge to laugh because of her 'new voice' but I prevented it from escaping.

I felt eyes on me and I raised my head just to meet my mom's glare. I gave her an innocent look which she responded back with a glare.

I smiled as I took steps forward.

"Mom, you have been out for hours! What if something happened to your precious daughter?" I said as I pretended to be terrified and crying.

"You can wipe off your crocodile tears since I am not your grandparents to fall for it. You are in trouble, missy," she said angrily but calmly.

"She is..." the old woman who had questioned us previously said as she looked at me with questioning eyes making the rest turn their heads to my direction.

"My daughter. Gabriella Romero," mom introduced me.

"She is the girl you have been talking about? I never expected her to be the same age as these two," another woman whose hair was black and had greyish eyes said.

"Mom, come on. There is no problem with that," Eleanor said as she pouted, making the elders laugh.

"Nice to meet you Gabby. I am Eleanor's grandmother. You can also call me grandma Ruth," the old woman introduced herself.

"Nice to meet you too, Grandma Ruth," I responded with a smile.

The atmosphere was chilly and the trees were moving from one direction to another since it was windy. The moon had an oval to round shape indicating it was the waning gibbous phase. The stars were shining brightly. Together with the moon, the illuminated light even though we were surrounded by trees which made shade when they were hit by the light. The air became more cold, making us shiver.

"Why is the atmosphere so displeasing today?" Eleanor's mom asked.

"It was not like this when I was coming in thirty minutes ago," a woman who had blonde hair and green eyes said.

"Mom," Sharon shouted.

"Abi, Ria. What are you two doing here? and did that witch really allow you guys in without bothering you?" Grandma Ruth asked while giving them questioning eyes.

"We were with Sharon and Eleanor when we came across her," Abigail said as she pointed at me.

"She requested that she be taken to the coven. That's why we are here," Brianna added.

I looked down without raising my head in fear of what would happen to me if they knew I was the one who caused trouble. From what I see, it seems that the old woman is so strict. I am actually afraid I will be punished. After all, my grandparents have never punished me.

"Gabriella Romero," I heard mom calling out my name and I cussed inwardly.

I raised my head slowly and looked at her direction but did not even dare look at her eyes since I knew she was angry. Extremely angry.

"What did I tell you about using your powers?" she asked angrily.

"Why can't I? Aren't I a witch like the rest? Why do they have a right to use their powers while I can't? I thought that I could know that we are in a new town but I guess not," I retorted in the same tone.

"Don't you dare use that tone on me! Your grandparents aren't here to help you escape from my wrath," she said.

"Use powers? Has she used her powers?" Grandma Ruth asked the girls and they shook their heads.

I smiled at that but I knew it was in vain when it came to my mom.

"Yes, she did. The fire, the snakes hissing," mom pointed out, making me glare at her.

"I don't think that that was her fault. There is a forest here and it is not impossible for the snakes to be here," Sharon's mom said.

"Don't think you are lucky or you won't be punished because they are all by your side! I am your mother and you know better than anyone else that we have a special bond with each other. So..."

"You can find out if there is something bothering me, if I am in pain or not, if I am hungry or nor, if I am in sleep or not, when I am in danger or not and when I use magic or not," I completed the statement for her making her stare at me deeply.

"Please don't give me that look. I know just like you know me," I said as I stuck my tongue out.

"Do you know what you have done?" she asked.

"I was just protecting myself. Or would you have been happy if I died?" I asked.

"Young girl!"

"You all lied to me! Guess you are asking for trouble," grandma Ruth said while glaring at the girls.

"Sorry but nothing can be hidden from my mom," I apologised to them but I was smiling.

"Mom, I want to go back to my training," Sharon said as she ran to her mother.

"Grandma, will you teach me how to summon animals?" Eleanor said with an innocent face as she held her grandma's arm.

"Summon animals?" The women asked and the girls nodded their heads.

"Yes, grandma Ruth. The gatekeeper had summoned the locusts to attack us and in return, Gabby summoned the snakes. The snakes ate the locusts," Sharon said cheerfully.

All the women looked at me with shocked expressions and I looked at them without showing any fear or happiness.

"How old is she? Or she is a young woman but her body is small?" Eleanor's mother asked, making me roll my eyes.

"She is fourteen. She knows a lot of things since my parents were strict on her and her cousins," mom explained.

"Well, as much as you girls saved yourselves from the witch. You have made a great mistake. Isn't it now evident that the ancestors are angry with you?"

1168 words.

09.11.2023

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow!