Lanterns

The lanterns illuminate the starry sky of Teyvat.

A lone Yaksha watches them from afar, feeling a pang in his heart. He knows he'll never experience the joy and tranquility of the mortals he swore to protect.

Yet here he stood now, on the edge of a steep cliff, high in the cold wind that was biting his shoulders. Wondering why he's here. And what made him so hopeful when a bleak future waited for him.

Why did he bother so much when he already knew his fate? A being such as him was only made to slaughter and to destroy. He had no worth or value that made him acceptable to live.

He tries to convince himself over and over. There's no point in his existence outside of the sealed contract. He murdered others, and still carries blood on his hands with sins on his shoulders.

Yet the sensation of pain is too overpowering and he desperately wishes it would end.

The traveler slowly took in the horrors of his past. Their amber eyes narrowed.

"It was against your will. You should not degrade yourself for something out of your control."

"It doesn't matter anymore. Don't waste your sympathy on me."

"And yet you still do it today, so I can't just ignore it. Haven't I reminded you that you are more than a tool?" The traveler gazed deeply into his eyes. "Everything will get better."

The adeptus still remembers their gaze. Their eyes radiated so much clarity that he couldn't breathe. How could someone so wonderful as them exist within this cruel world?

No one has reached out to the lone Yaksha for the past centuries. No one has grasped him by the shoulders and healed his heart with a gentle smile on their face.

He had walked alone on his cold, snow-filled path for far too long.

The lanterns continue glowing in the dark sky like fireflies in a vast void of melancholy. He can't understand the emotions warming his heart, but he lets them confuse his mind.

The sorrowful warrior closes his eyes and secretly hopes for a better tomorrow.