Chapter 12 - Burn in Hell [BACKSTORY]

December 23, 1345
⚠️WARNING: ARSON AND CHARACTER DEATH⚠️
Laff's POV

Laff started to walk into the military base, adjusting to the new gas mask he was wearing. As he walked into the base, he saw his best friend, Clovis, and General Maeve. "Laff! I'm glad you're healing after the attack." Clovis cried, putting his arm around Laff in a friendly gesture. Clovis was tall, who was about 6'1 - 6'2, had chocolate brown hair, and emerald green eyes. He had a wife and newborn child away from the war in the Czech Republic and would talk about them nearly everyday. General Maeve was short, standing at 5'11 1/2, but she was the general. Her entire body was navy blue that faded to cyan, with brown eyes. She never really talked about her family, but all they knew was that they were currently in India. She doesn't really bond with the other soldiers, but Clovis and Laff were different. "Yeah, uhm... it does feel different having a gas mask." Laff admitted. Maeve nodded softly as Clovis said, "Yeah, I does look a lot more different without seeing your face. Hey, at least you have an advantage!" Laff softly smiled under is gas mask. Clovis was right, he did have an advantage when it came to deadly fumes. "Come on, boys, let's go." General Maeve said, walking into the base. Laff and Clovis followed her into the base.
There were a lot of the soldiers he knew. Some were tall and male, some were female, some were neither, some were just built to be in the war, and there were people like Laff. He was born with an illness called Muscular Dystrophy which is a group of diseases that cause progressive weakness and loss of muscle mass. Because of this, he was rejected multiple times to be in the British Army until he moved to America where he was accepted. A soldier interrupted his thoughts when they wrapped an arm around him. "AYY, Laff my man. How you doin'?" The soldier asked, ruffling his hair. "Oh, umm. Great! I'm gonna go over there." Laff said, before awkwardly leaving.
He went over to the cabins, and to his bed. He got out his notebook and started to write.

December 23, 1345
Today is the day. I'm going to replenish this base. After years of being tortured in the war, and being made fun of, I'm finally gonna make sure they pay.

It was short, but it told the story.
He closed the notebook, sighing for a long time. He took a moment to think about his plan, but he knew it would work somehow. All he needed were robot enhancements.

.
.
.

Maeve's POV

Maeve was watching over the other soldiers, watching Laff awkwardly walk away. She felt bad. He was made fun of for his illness and only Clovis and her cared. He would be okay, right?
Hours went by and Laff didn't show up. Luckily, nobody was getting murdered in his absence, but Maeve was starting to get a bit more worried. "Hey, Clovis," Maeve asked, walking towards Clovis. Clovis let out a small 'hm?' so Maeve asked, "Can you check up on Laff, he's been in his room for hours and it's getting me... worried." Clovis nodded at her ask and left to the cabins. Maeve waited for a while. She started to fidget with her fingers as she waited. Laff and Clovis were her best friends, and she didn't want them at harm's way. She remembered Laff bringing up his younger sister, and about how he nearly set his house on fire in England. They laughed at jokes, they hung out all the time, but after the explosion incident, Laff started to get more and more distant, like he was attached to the gas mask. It made them worry, but they knew everything would be okay.

.
.
.

A few hours past and now Clovis wasn't showing up. She was about to go and check up on them but she was stopped by a drunk soldier. Turns out, that while she was waiting, the soldiers drank like 50 tons of alcohol and now they are walking talking woozy children. Maeve rolled her eyes and settled the soldiers, making sure they didn't walk away and get themselves ran over by an oncoming tank.
Being a general is difficult. You have the responsibility of the entire war in your hands. You have to make sure the soldiers are alive, make sure they have a base, make sure the soldiers are trained, and even more. She's watched people die in her hands, giving her guilt and some PTSD from having to bury them. Especially this kind of season where everything is cold and so many people are dying to diseases and hypothermia. Every night she would close her eyes and wish for something more than this, and maybe one day she would get that wish. She wanted to see her family again, she wanted to go back home safe and sound, ur because of this war, sshe's still here.
After thirty minutes of trying to get the soldiers sober again, she smelled something. Smoke.
Shit.
The smell got more and more powerful as it spread the base, it was coming from the cabins. "EVERYONE RETREAT! GO OUTSIDE AND STAY AWAY FROM BASE!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!" She commanded, getting the soldiers away from base. They did what they did and ran away, huddling outside in the freezing cold. Fire started to spread, but that didn't stop her. Maeve ran over to the door of the cabins and kicked it open. The smell of smoke immediately filled the atmosphere, making her cough loudly as she put a hand to her mouth and nose. She looked ahead and saw a candle on the floor, Laff with blood red eyes under his lenses, and a dead Clovis.
Maeve looked at her best friend's corpse, blood pouring out of his chest that was stabbed multiple times. "WHAT DID YOU DO??!!" Maeve snapped, almost already starting to tear up as she yelled. Laff didn't say anything, until after a moment, he said this, "Doing something you never decided to do." He then ran over to Maeve and stabbed her in the back of her chest with a knife. She screamed in both pain and surprise, her body starting to go limp. She felt as she was thrown into the fire as Laff left. She felt the burning sensation in her body as she started to scream louder and louder in pain, wanting it to stop. Why did this have to happen, why did Laff betray us, why?
Tears slowly started to well up in her eyes as they fell down her cheeks. She remembered her wife and young daughter who'd she'd spend hours with. The reason she kept going was for them, now she was dying. She closed her eyes, letting the fire engulf her.
I'm sorry, my dear. Please take care of our child.
Goodbye, Klea.

Yes, Maeve is confirmed to be a lesbian and has a wife and child! (1183 words)