Chapter 1: doki doki literature club

The duo walked along the sidewalk, their destination? Unfortunately, school. Idle chatter was among them ranging from complaining about being tired despite staying up to 3am and discussing the latest game update they both played. After a moment of silence of pondering what to bring up Penelope turned towards Jasper.  

"You know I've been thinking, we should join a club." Penelope mentioned nonchalantly as she lightly nudged Casper's shoulder, a slightly awkward smile playing on her lips. The thought of joining a club with people she never met put her in a state of uneasiness however if she could get Casper to join with her, it wouldn't be as bad!

Casper glanced over at her, his hands in the pockets of his jackets, he was about respond with 'oh cool what were you thinking?' before he caught himself "We?" Casper repeated what she just said, staring at her in a mixture of confusion and suspicion.

Penelope nodded "We!" she reaffirmed oddly confidently in her words.

"I mean think about it...we both don't have any other friends that aren't each other we could join a club and you knowww get a social life?" Penelope explained reverting back to her awkward tone of voice at her suggestion. 

Casper sighed, rubbing the back of his neck "ehhhh....you know what? I suppose it's not to bad of an idea, I'm dropping going along with the idea if we end up running into total dicks- and not the good kind of dick may I add." Casper added at the end, an amused smile on his face.

Penelope clasped her hands together in delight "yay!~ wait what-" Penelope began to mentally celebrate before processing the last part of what he said.

"there's not a good kind of dick, they all look ugly." Penelope declared with a confident smile.

".....they do look kind of weird." Casper agreed with a small chuckle.

+Time skip!~+

"Hey what about the literature club?" Penelope suggested curiously as they walked through the halls, aimlessly listing off clubs they could join.

Casper hummed in thought "That could be fun. Don't you hate poetry?" Casper inquired.

Penelope shook her head "Ah! no I was just being dramatic when we had to go over poetry in class, I like the idea of writing them if I'm being honest." Penelope replied with a slight smile.

Casper smiled "Honestly? Same. Should we join then? It probably won't have a lot of members if that influences your decision." Casper added, he didn't really mind what club they joined as long it aligned with his interests or would be fun in some way along with not being overcrowded. 

"We should definitely check it out!....also their posters are pretty, I like the colors."  Penelope added at the end softly, she was a simple person, you could easily draw her in with pastel colors.

The two stood in front of the classroom door the lead to the literature club. "Knock." Casper commanded, eyeing Penelope.

"You knock." Penelope countered instantly.

"This was your idea."

"You went along with it."

"you're closer to the door."

"that's a stupid reason."

"your birth was a stupid reason."

The hushed bickering died down instantly as the door swung open, revealing a startled girl with purple hair who was holding a water pitcher. "U-Um-!" she stuttered out. The three people standing at the doorway staring at each other in shocked silence. 

Casper cleared his throat "I...um....sorry?" Casper awkwardly apologized, not sure for what but he felt the need to.

The girl stared back at Casper, her lips pressed into a line seemingly out of nervousness "it's...fine." she responded, almost unsure of her own answer.

Penelope stared at the girl before nervously chuckling  "We...we're...interested in...joining this club...?" Penelope meekly spoke, shrinking back.

The purple haired girl slowly nodded her head "I'm...not the one...to speak to...Monika's in the club room.." the girl whispered before quickly walking past them, her face seemingly red in embarrassment.

"Why does she have a water pitcher?" Casper spoke aloud after the girl was out of earshot, moving on from the embarrassing encounter.

"Ah, Yuri makes tea for the club room." A voice spoke causing the two to focus their attention elsewhere.

Both Casper and Penelope recognized the voice as it belonged to one of the popular girls in school.

Monika smiled sweetly at them, stepping aside "You're interested in joining the club right? Come on it so we can see if you'll like it here!" Monika merrily, seeming pleased at the idea of new members.

Word count: 715