Perfect Timing?

Prompt: Break the 4th Wall.

He ran. He ran as far as his little furry legs could take him. Rushing past towering trees and falling leaves. He felt as if he were moving as fast as his heart. His long ears could hear the sound of howls and barks close behind him, but he didn't dare look back. He darted this way and that, doing everything he could to get his pursuers off his small, cottontail. The wolves were relentless. No matter how many sharp turns he took, they were still right behind him. His big brown eyes grew wide with fear. He could feel his body reaching it's limit. Ahead of him was only open fields, grass just barely concealing his legs. There was no getting out of this.

He collapsed in a tumbled mess onto the ground, completely exhausted. The predators moved to surround him, 5 wolves encircled him with menacing snarls. A brown one went behind him, two black ones took either side, while a white one and a gray one stood in front of him.

"Finally ran out of steam, eh? You rabbits sure do run fast." The gray wolf said with a mocking laugh. His pack snickered beside him.

The rabbit forced himself up, glaring at him, "You go ahead and laugh it up!" He said between heavy breaths, "Pick on the little guy! You won't win!"

"I think we already did, furball." They began to close in.

"No you haven't! This is the part where the bullies get taught a lesson!"

The wolves paused. Some looked at one another in confusion and others titled their head. The rabbit puffed out his chest, "Like right...now!"

He pointed a paw in their direction. No one moved. Nothing happened. All was quiet.

"Is something supposed to happen?" The brown one asked, looking around.

"Don't be stupid, Jay." The gray wolf snapped, "Just hurry up and eat em."

The rabbit flung his paw around, "Come on, work! This is supposed to work for stories!" He looked up to the sky and screamed angrily, "Do your job, Narrator!"

Hey! I'm doing my best!

"What is he talking about?"

"I don't know, just eat him!"

A flash of lightning shot out from the sky, hitting every single wolf. They yelped in pain before collapsing to the ground in an unconscious heap of fur. The rabbit watched in awe and laughed, "Yes! It's about time! You took way too long!"

Another bolt of lightning appeared and zapped him right on the tail. He squealed, jumping in fright before running off, "Alright, alright, I'm sorry, jeez!"

And so, the little rabbit lives another day...

End