A Visit To The Castle

Years later, Dara had turned 19.

She had taken over her mother's farm at this point, the woman too weak to tend to it.

Her father had passed on when she was 16, and she still remembers the beautiful service held for him in the temple gravesite.

She hired a couple farm hands to help her, some young teens looking for an easy job and some cheap pay.

Today however, was a day where a representative from each town could petition the king.

It was her father's turn this year, but since his passing, Dara had taken up the job.

They were just going to skip her household as there were no males there anymore, but Dara gave them too much trouble about that, and they decided to 'humor her' as they put it.

Finding it more work to deal with her incessant complaining than to find a way to soothe their feelings of male superiority.

Dara shook her head just thinking about it.

Boys just got so horrible when they turned into men.

She had been so put-off by the lot of them that she swore off marriage entirely, much to her aging mother's chagrin.

I guess it's true what they say, misery loves company.

Unless sweet, unassuming Acacius came back from the grave, which she doubted, she wouldn't give any of these posturing males even a fleeting glance.

She was happy with her life and doing as she pleased— nothing could make her give that up.

The ride to the castle was long, but it gave her time to think.

The townspeople had given her a list of things they wished to bring to the king's attention.

About their crop, their taxes, the state of their streets, etc.

Once Dara had finished tying up her horse, Brazely, in a local stable, paying the stable hand 5 drachms, she saw the line.

What a long and extensive line it was...

Sighing, she resigned herself to the arderous wait.

——

Finally, after a good 3 hours of waiting, Dara entered the throne room.

A stone had settled in her gut unexpectedly as she took in the wealth that shined from each and every corner of the place.

High ceilings and drapes in robust colors, marble floors... it was a lot for a farm girl out in Grevena Valley.

There were a lot of people in the room.

Servants lined the walls, the king & queen in the front, advisors next to them...

Even the servants wore things far more extravagant than Dara could hope to own.

She tried not to focus on them, zeroing in solely on the king.

Gulping down her unease, Dara bowed, before confidently retrieving her list and beginning to read.

——

She heard feet running up behind her as she exited the castle, so she turned to see a stubby servant girl bounding towards her in a ridiculous hurry.

"Madame!" She cried, finally coming to a stop before her, holding out a note.

Dara took the poor girl's note, confused.

The servant put her hands on her knees to catch her breath, explaining. "One of the king's concubines was adamant that you receive this message. He said it was urgent!"

"Um, thanks." Dara answered.

The girl gave a short nod and turned away, leaving Dara with the pristine slip of parchment.

Curiously, Dara turned over the note.

Meet me in the Palace Courtyard under Hera's fountain this afternoon. 4pm. Come alone. Tell them Eros has asked for you, they will let you in. Tell them you are his sister.
- Acacius

Acacius... oh my god.