3.5

My eyes peeled open to a stone ceiling. Sitting upward, a pile of animal fur fell from my aching body. I looked at my hands and my wrists. The blood was gone, and in its place were two green leaves wrapped around my wounds. I studied my surroundings, finding I was once more in a place I didn't know. Though the place I was in recently was fading from my memory. In here was a stone room with a straw mattress and a barred window. There wasn't anything else but stone walls.

I stood, almost collapsing as pain shot from my leg to my spine. I looked down at my calf, the marks from the rope had healed, leaving a mighty scar that was red and raised, wrapping around like the leaves on my wrists.

"Hello?" I called out.

No response.

I hobbled over to the window and sat at its side, sneaking my hand past the iron bars. I felt the bitter wind graze against my flesh and pulled back. I shifted my body, staring out at the world beyond the kingdom of Udan. The world beyond was amazing to behold.

A crystal river stretched for miles, protected by a veil of mist from the east to the west. Beyond it, was a lutrious forest waiting to be explored. The trees concealed faraway lands, jagged peaks, and secrets. For a moment, I thought I saw another kingdom beyond the trees a distance away but it faded from my sight before I could gather if it was.

A bird called from beyond the river, croning a song like when I first awoke. I stared at the wall, remembering how tall it looked when I was staring it at from below. Now that I was above it, it seemed smaller and so did the entire kingdom of Udan compared to the rest of the world waiting on the outskirts. A thought dawned and I realized I was in the tower, a part of the stone castle I saw when life was fading from me.

I winced, balancing myself as I stepped away from the window. My head swayed as I looked to the other side of the room, noting a wooden door with an iron knob and a keyhole.

I imagined the door was locked, but took a chance in opening it. I required answers and the river had them. Going back might help remember who I was and where I was from.

I fell into the door, hitting my shoulder. As the pain throbbed, I turned the knob, relieved to find the door was not locked after all. As I turned it, someone else on the other side did.

With a release, I stepped back in surprise, my eyes wide. My stomach turned as my hands clammed up. I feared it was Jonga, aiming to bring me to the brink of death once more.

The door screeched, revealing Hona. He bore a welcoming smile that perished when he noticed I was awake. My stomach knotted as I remembered his warm eyes when I first met them. How kind I thought he was until he ignored my pleas and cries. He was wearing a blouse instead of showing his bare stomach and chest. He appeared proper instead of savage like before.

"Leave," I spat. "Now."

"I can't do that," he declared.

"I will strike you again if I need to," I threatened, folding my arms to my chest. Even though he saved my life, I didn't want to be near him. I could care less about him and the man that had hunted me.

"I would grant you a pass if you did," he whispered. "It certainly would be warranted."

"I cried for help and you..." My voice droned off as I remembered the blood on my wrists. The steady torrents and pooled blood under me.

He stepped forward, pushing a finger to my lips. I felt my face grow hot as he stared into my eyes. My stomach tied as I looked at him. I wasn't sure what to think or feel. He removed his finger and walked past me.

"I know," he answered. "But you are standing here now, alive and well."

"Well?" I laughed. "With scars that will never heal."