Chapter 26: Nodin

Ren couldn't sleep. Of course, he couldn't. He couldn't remember the last time he willingly did so, without any stress to do it just for others who were worried about him. So, there he was, staring at the ceiling. Waiting. Waiting for something, anything, to occur so he didn't have to shut his eyes and see that horrible emerald green.

He sat up from his bed.

The glow of the night could be seen from his balcony, a gentle breeze moving the curtains lining the outside. Finally, tirelessly, he flung himself out of bed. He would find something to do; he just had to. As he picked up his bag and sword, Ren saw a small metal item come tumbling out. He stared at the object curiously. As he stooped to pick up the piece, he finally realized what it was. It was the same badge from the masquerade party, the one left behind by the mysterious magic-wielding guards.

Ren remembered that the name etched into the back was a blacksmith's, one he was familiar with. He recalled that he'd told Kyra they would go to investigate, an event that felt like ages ago. Of course, it had been. Ever since the king had declared he would be going to war, the castle was abuzz with action, and he hadn't had the time to ask Kyra about the mission.

Ren was sliding. Sliding, seemingly into nothing, and then he stumbled out into the underground. The exit was located somewhere on one of the overhanging areas of the undercity. He could see the layers quite well from above, including where he needed to be to get to Aviron's bar.

Ren cursed himself for coming back so soon. He had stopped going to the undercity a few months after he started working for the king, mainly out of guilt for hanging on to his foolish criminal days. But, then again, it was nice seeing old friends again. Especially after three whole years had passed.

He made his way down to the lower levels by jumping from roof to roof, skidding down canopies, and using loose pipes to slide directly down. No one seemed to pay him any mind, mainly out of necessity to all keep to themselves. In the criminal world, Ren learned quickly to ask fewer questions and stop pulling his punches. That was how you stayed alive.

As Ren found the entrance to Aviron's bar, he pulled aside the curtain door, keeping his hood low. He spotted a familiar slender woman at the bar, chatting with Aviron, who poured her another glass of alcohol.

"Linnea," Ren spoke in a low voice next to her seat at the bar. She jumped, nearly smashing him in the head with a small spoon that Ren had to grab ahold of to block.

"Saints, you crazy boy! Don't sneak up on an old woman like that!" she scolded him, waving the spoon in the air threateningly. Ren grinned devilishly in response, taking a seat next to her and waving at Aviron. The gruff bartender rolled his eyes, turning to help another customer.

"I need a favor," Ren said swiftly, sliding the badge across to Linnea. She stared at the piece with a frown, tossing her curly fringe out of her face to get a closer look. She pulled back her hood, revealing two puffs of dark, reddish hair. The only loose strands she had were two braids that fell just behind her ears and ended at her waist.

"Where'd you get this?" she responded, voice dropping lower. Her bold, silver-lined eyes darted back and forth across the room. She looked at Ren with a dangerous glare. Ren tilted his head down and looked up at her through a knowing look.

"None of your business," he replied. "I want to know who commissioned these pieces." He grabbed her glass of alcohol off the table and took a sip, watching Linnea's face. She looked around nervously again, then leaned forward and seized him by the collar. Her cloak's sleeves slid down as she did this, and Ren caught sight of silver gauntlets fitted firmly against her forearms. Linnea had a habit of incorporating her own metal smithing into her outfits. And Ren couldn't lie; she had taste. He'd jump at the chance to steal a pair of circlets from her.