27.

ღ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇ღ

millie was sitting in her math class, leaning her head on her hand. she was tapping her pen against her book, not paying attention to the teacher in any way. she was busy thinking about the pain her nose, but she was trying to distract herself by thinking about literally anything else.

chris.

okay, maybe not anything else.

she tried to direct her thoughts another way, but they were persistent, and she eventually gave in. why had he invited her to his house? why had she said yes? she didn't want to spend any time with him - she didn't even want to look at him again - and yet here she was, agreeing to go home with him.

maybe it was the fight. it had completely thrown her off. maybe it was the pain in her nose. it was definitely distracting her from maths, maybe it was also distracting her from her common sense. maybe-

''millie!''

she jumped at the sudden use of her name, her classmates laughing or scoffing. she looked at the teacher in embarrassment, who was already looking at her. millie looked at the door where she noticed the principal, and she felt her heart sink.

''yes?'' she asked in a small voice.

''come with me, millie.'' the principal instructed, and then walked out of the room.

there were whispers around the room as she grabbed her things and walked out of the classroom. she already knew what it was going to be about, and she wasn't surprised. she didn't ever cause trouble and now she was fighting in front of everybody.

she walked into the principal's office where he told her to take a seat. she did so, dropping her things under the table, and he lent back slightly with a sigh.

''you know why you're in here?''

she nodded. ''the fight.''

''i would think i had the wrong person but, seeing as your nose is swollen, it has to be you.''

''it was me.'' she confirmed, raising her hand to her nose.

''you have never even had a detention, millie. you're one of my best students at this school.'' he replied, before a slight pause. ''we didn't even know you were friends with summer.''

''i'm not really-''

''then why are you getting into a fight with her?''

''she kissed my boyfriend.'' she said in a small voice, hating the hurt that flowed through her.

''oh.'' the principal replied sympathetically. ''i'm really sorry that happened to you, millie, but we don't tolerate fights at this school.''

''but-''

''you of all people should know that...seeing who your best friend is.''

millie smiled softly at the mention of jayden, but it faded as she looked back at the principal. she sighed slightly, and then replied genuinely ''i'm sorry.''

''honestly, millie, i'm not angry at you, but i have a reputation to uphold of the school, so you'll just get detention.''

''tonight?''

''tonight.'' he confirmed. ''it'll be an hour.''

''an hour?'' she replied in surprise. ''but i have plans.''

he shrugged helplessly. ''you should be suspended seeing as you started it, but i'm willing to let you off this one time because i don't believe you'll do anything like this again.''