Chapter Two

I had no choice, I threw off my mittens and ran towards the Fang, my talons bare and deadly. I felt the adrenaline as we closed in on each other. I smelt the stench of the scaly beast, and saw the whites of its eyes.

Right before the spear was thrusted through my body, I jumped over the Fang and landed behind it, grabbing it by its neck. I looked around quickly, making sure no one but the lone person was around.

I saw no one and raked my claws across the creature's neck, feeling a warm liquid on my hand, I knew it was dead.

It fell limp in my arms, then started to turn to ash, to nothing.

The blood that had been on my hand was also gone. Interesting. I quickly grabbed the mittens, pulling them on before anyone came and saw them.

“Thank you.” I felt the pressure of a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw a woman. And a little kid I hadn't seen before was holding her hand.

“He was about to rip me apart, he swore he would. I had accidently dropped a pile of flowers on him.” The way she said accidently was in a way, I could tell it was no accident. 

I nodded, “you're welcome.” I had saved a mother and her child. Then I started to walk off to Books and Crannies, staying aware in case there had been a witness.

“What's your name?” She asked, catching up to me.

“.... I'd rather not talk about it.” I rushed and started to hurry away.

“Oh. Ok.” I heard the woman say. I felt bad, but it was better for both of us.

Better for the both of us… or just better for me? I sighed as I opened the door to the bookstore.

The first thing that hit me was the smell of books. The second thing was a plumyum.

“Oh, Zouzab! Do watch where you're tossing your food!” came the voice of an older man and I saw the flash of something brown from the corner of my eye.

I was using a mitten to try and get most of the fruit off, when a stout, short older man came from one of the aisles of the bookshelves.

“Sorry about that, Zouzab is a bit…. Mischievous at times. As the great-”

“It's alright, do you have a book on sewing? Or knitting or that?” I cut him off, trying to be as kind as possible.

“Ahh, for the missus?” He asked, disappearing again. “birthday? Anniversary?”

“Ah, no. It's for me. I'm not… married.” I tried to look for him. There weren't a lot of ailes but it was a good sized shop.

“Ah, I see. Here we go, Socks, Hats, Blankets, and Curtains: How to Sew Almost Everything. By Howard the Pricked.” He popped up and handed me a book.

“Howard… the Pricked?” I said, unsure. I opened the book, but it was hard with the mittens.

“Yes, his poor, poor thumb.” The bookstore owner tisked and sighed, fixing his glasses.

“Lovely. So I'll earn everything I to need?” I somehow managed to look at a few pages of the book.

“Would you like a book on speech too? I know a great one!” He was about to go away again, but I stopped him quickly.

“Toe thank you. No thank you.” I held up the sewing book, “this'll be it.”

“Are you sure? You seem to have a problem with-”

“Thust jist!” I sputtered. “but thank you.”

“Alright.” He said slowly, and he led me to the counter. I was hit in the head again by another fruit.

“REALLY, Zouzab! Cut that out!” The man said, agitated.

I heard a giggle but couldn't tell where it came from. I paid for the book and quickly walked out.

“The name's Oskar-” the door closed and I sighed, clutching the book close to my chest.

I noticed more people were walking around. And more Fangs. I shuddered and jumped to the roof of the bookstore. I started to jump across roofs, and I heard a snarl, “hey! Muck, is that legal?”

“I dunno.”

“Do we arrest him?”

Fangs had seen me jump off a roof.

“Do you want to climb all the way up there?” Said the deeper sounding one.

“We'll let him go one time.” the higher pitched one said and I heard them walk off.

I watched them go, then hurried to the end of Glipwood, where I climbed off the last roof and ran to the woods.

Once I was in my house I sighed, relieved. I took off the mittens and flipped through the book I had bought.

It didn't seem too hard. I grabbed the materials and started to make some socks.