Chapter 17 - Happy birthday pt.2

Colors - Halsey

March 29th, 2028

He woke up in a dark room, his siblings had already gone to school.

He pressed his face into the pillow, his fists clenched and his knees to his chest, under the blanket that barely kept him warm.

He had to pull himself up when his cell phone started ringing, and it was too far away for him to turn it off without getting out of the covers.

He hadn't listened to his previsions for a month now.

He was too drunk to do so, and he had no desire to use his powers to get himself right.

The only time he used them was when he had to move from one place to another, which caused him to vomit quite often, and he continued to do it, as a mere self-inflicted punishment.

He arranged for his siblings to stay in Washington D.C., while he went to live at the lake house, away from anyone who might have looked for him.

He hadn't listened to the news of any kind in a while, so he had no idea what was going on outside his bubble.

Twice a week, he would appear at their house, before his siblings came home from school,, so they wouldn't see him throw up, and prepare a meal for them, as much as he could, and leave them a hundred dollars each, for extra expenses, since the bills and groceries were still covered by him.

Diwa was the name in large letters on the cell phone as it rang.

He answered and put it to his ear without saying a word.

"Wilson, how are you?" no answer "Wilson? Ash, are you there?" 

"Yes, yes, I'm here"

"Then answer, you asshole. Happy birthday!" he put his hand over his face and looked at the date on his phone.

Yes, it was the 29th, 4 in the morning.

Happy birthday to him.

"We thought we could go to the lake today, to celebrate"

"Not... Okay, that's okay" he changed that protest and sat down on the bed, resting his hands on the edge and letting his feet get used to the cold of the floor

"Wait, Haru wants to talk to you" he heard noises from his cell phone, and then finally the boy's shrill voice "Kami! Happy birthday! How are you?"

"Good, kid, what about you?"

"Amazingly, I can't wait to see you, it's been a long time, hasn't it?"

"Yes, come to the same place as last time by 3 o'clock, I'll be there" he hesitated.

"See you there, Kami" and he ended the call.

He stood up and didn't feel his legs hold him up, so he stood still for a couple of seconds, eyes closed and fists clenched to try to regain his balance.

He struggled to get to the bathroom, and turned on the water, jumping into the freezing tub, fully clothed.

He sank into the water that was slowly filling the tub and let himself be submerged, then brought his hand to the tap and closed it.

He felt incredibly still, as he opened his mouth and some bubbles left his body, then closed it again, before water entered.

He kept his eyes open, looking up at something imprecisely distant.

It was the same feeling he had had at the lake.

Why coming back to the surface?

It was so peaceful there.