Chapter 8 | Another One Bites The Dust

Things were peaceful, for a bit after David left, as far as Buzzard could tell anyway. Eagle was sleeping, Owl was taking a walk, Falcon was teaching Canary how to sharpen and clean their arrows, Peafowl was knitting, and Buzzard was basically a glorified pillow. He couldn't move from his position because unfortunately that would wake Eagle up, and he wasn't willing to disturb what could quite possibly be his last peaceful rest in a long time. Besides, Eagle hadn't looked so carefree since they met him almost a week ago, if he could, he'd let Eagle sleep for a few thousand years because he looked like he could use it.

Soon Falcon got worried which prompted Buzzard to be worried, because Owl had been gone almost two hours, and Owl was never gone for long, not only that, but she had forgotten her radio, so it wasn't like they could just ask her where she was.

Buzzard had a lot of regrets, but leaving Eagle alone on the bed so he could join Falcon to look for Owl wasn't one of them. He left Canary with Peafowl with the order to keep people out of the room and to let Eagle know where he'd gone if Eagle asked. They were not prepared to find a bunch of kids kicking at the dead body of a fox, Owl wasn't in sight, perhaps she hadn't seen the boys, but Buzzard knew with a look that the fox was Hestia, by the red collar around its neck. It took barely a moment before Falcon had run up to one of the boys and punched him in the nose, and shoved another.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" He shouted, and Buzzard realized that this was the first time he'd ever seen Falcon so mad. He'd seen Falcon annoyed, amused, slightly angry, even drunk (they no longer grabbed bottles with French words on the label), but he'd never seen Falcon so angry.

"What was that for?" The boy whom Falcon had shoved yelled.

"Why the fuck were you attacking Hestia?" Falcon yelled in return.

"That mangy old thing? It was creepin' around! There are rules here!" The boy replied.

"There was also an order that no one was supposed to touch Hestia!" Falcon retorted with a glare.

"Who cares? It's just a fox." The boy scoffed.

Whatever Falcon may have replied was covered by yelling, and a group of people running over, led by Claire and the third boy who must've slipped away unnoticed.

"What is going on here?" Claire demanded.

"They killed Hestia!" Falcon yelled, pointing at the dead fox.

"Oh- I'm sure it was a mistake, wasn't it Caleb?" Claire stammered, hopefully.

"Of course! We didn't mean to, we thought it was a fox going after the food again." The third boy, Caleb, lied.

"If that's the truth I'll throw myself to the Z's!" Falcon proclaimed loudly.

"There's no need to go through such extremes, honey," Claire said, the words slipping off her tongue like honey.

"There's such a need when we tried giving you trust! You're lucky Owl didn't find them first or you'd be dealing with dead bodies!" Falcon yelled back.

"Fal, I need you to calm down, I'm sure we can work something out." Buzzard started, turning Falcon to look him in the eyes.

"What is there to work out? It was an accident, besides, it's just a pet, your sister will get over it soon enough." Claire spoke, saying it like the word was a curse.

"Owl will not just get over it! I demand some form of justice!" Falcon yelled back, rage in his voice.

"What's the harm?" A voice called out.

"The harm is you broke your fucking word!" Falcon yelled back. Buzzard couldn't find it in him to refute him, after all, Falcon was right.

"Falcon, please calm down, Owl wouldn't want you fighting her battles. Claire, you are either going to punish these assholes, otherwise, Owl will have her own revenge and I will not be stopping her this time." Buzzard said, pulling Falcon into a side hug.