4-The Mysterious Man

Siman was deeply engrossed in the intricate details of the drawing on the page, precisely opposite the chilling depiction of an execution ceremony. She closed the book forcefully as Kenza approached, her perturbed expression visible.

Kenza, with a mix of concern and reproach, questioned Siman, "Reading at this hour? You haven't even washed your face! Look at those sleepy eyes!" Siman replied, "I got captivated by the story's beginning, and I couldn't resist finding out what happens next."

Persistently, Kenza probed further, "And what's this captivating story that prompted you to dive into it the moment you woke up?" Before Siman could respond, Kenza playfully mimicked her, hands raised in mock surrender, saying, "Oh, Kenzyy, I'm sorry. I'm terrible at explaining stories. I'll give it to you once I've read it."

Siman chuckled at Kenza's playful imitation but remained lost in her thoughts. Unfazed, Kenza continued her morning routine, preparing breakfast for both of them. As they spent the day preparing to return to their village, Siman made sure to clear a substantial part of the room, anticipating the arrival of Kenza's sister and mother if they decided to use it. To Siman, Kenza's family was like her own, having lost her parents in a car crash. Kenza's parents treated her with love, considering her one of their own.

Siman's upbringing unfolded in a warm house filled with love. Her grandmother and uncles went above and beyond, providing the motherly love she lost too early. Rather than fostering dependency, this love shaped Siman into a resilient young woman, exuding strength and self-confidence.

Kenza entered the room while Siman was packing and asked, "Are you finished?" Siman nodded, explaining that she left a space in the closet, thinking her aunt Jamila or Sakina might need it if they visited. With a smile, Kenza remarked, "Thank you, Siman. But they'll only need it 'if' they come. You know, it's summer, and our house turns into a hotel during this season. The whole family from around the world visit. When I used to live with them, I helped Mom. But, you know, village life is tough, and Mom is getting older. Sakina is still too young to assist with everything."

Siman, curious about Kenza's decision not to relocate her family to the city considering her financial stability, listened intently. Kenza shared her family's aversion to city life and their deep attachment to the village. Siman empathized, understanding that her grandmother would decline an offer to live in the city. 

A thoughtful silence settled between them before Kenza brought up another topic, "Siman, as we delve into family matters, won't you visit your father's family before returning to the village?" Siman raised an eyebrow, pondering the question before responding, "Why would I?"

Kenza, her voice laced with concern for Siman's emotions, gently expressed, "I mean... they are your father's family, and we all live in the same city. You've never visited them since we started living here. At least visit your grandmother."

Siman's eyes flared with anger as she responded, "And did you forget what that 'grandmother' did to me when my parents died? That witch refused to see me, claiming my mother brought bad luck, and that they died because of her. She couldn't bear to look at my face, saying I reminded her of my mother. She forgot that I am her granddaughter, her son's daughter!!!"

Kenza, now feeling a deep sense of sympathy, tried to console her, "You were just a kid; how could you remember all that?"

Siman, while walking away and attempting to hold back tears, replied, "Toxic words stay in the mind forever."

In an attempt to provide solace, Kenza said, "Maybe she said that because she was shocked, maybe she was in grief. Perhaps she didn't mean it."

Siman, her anger returning in full force, exclaimed, "Are you serious? Why are you contradicting yourself? Okay, let's say it was grief. How many years have passed? Did any one of them check on me? Did anyone from my father's family look for me, see me, get to know me, give me the father's love I lost? My mother's family tried to reach them multiple times, but they refused to see me or hear anything about me. They killed me and buried me with my parents. Do you think I didn't want them? Didn't miss them? I wanted so hard to live with my father's family. But this is over now."