Chapter 1

Alex was awoken by the high-pitched sound of her alarm clock. She hit the bedside table blindly to turn it off. As the brunette stood up, she realized that her tiredness was going to make the day rather challenging.

After quickly getting ready, she made her way over to the D.E.O. to see what kind of villain was attacking National City that morning.

"What happened to you?" Kara asked as soon as she stepped into the building.

Her sister groaned, annoyed. "Thanks," she said sarcastically. "I didn't get much sleep last night." With that, she went to grab a cup of coffee, or perhaps the whole can.

Due to her curiosity and overprotectiveness, Kara followed her to see if she was all right. "Are you sure you're okay? You look like you haven't slept a wink last night."

Alex sighed, "That's the case." and took a sip of the comforting brown liquid.

"Another nightmare? That one?" she asked, concerned.

The brunette laughed dryly. "It's not like it's ever gonna be gone. It's literally carved into my brain."

To her surprise, she received a hug from her sister, which she gladly accepted at that moment.

"Sometimes I hate that stupid photographic memory. I wish I could just ask J'onn to erase all those memories and-" she started imagining, but Kara cut her off. "You don't want that. That's your life." she argued.

"Was. And I'll never get it back." the brunette corrected her and quickly walked away in frustration.

Kara hated to see her like that. She hated everything that had happened to her.

____________________________________

At noon, Kara convinced Alex to pick her up from CatCo so they could have lunch together. She really wanted to cheer her up. Alex accepted, as she was too tired that day to try and come up with a lazy excuse.

So the brunette was on her way now. She decided to walk since the two work places were only a couple blocks apart and the weather was actually pretty good. 'At least it's not raining here all the time.' she always told herself when she was feeling homesick. It did in no way make up for what she had lost but at least it was one positive aspect in all of this.

As she walked into the large building, which had CatCo on its highest floor, she made her way to the elevator because there was no way she would make the stairs in her sleep-deprived condition. Adding to her bad luck, the elevator was currently all the way up, so she had to wait a couple of minutes till it would be back down.

She looked outside the huge windows and admired all the different people on the street, each with their own unique stories and lives. It was truly fascinating. She wondered if someone out there had suffered as much loss as her, was as damaged as she was and no one even knew. No one knew that she was miserable, so why would she be able to see it in others?

As she scanned the crowd, she suddenly recognized a face on the sidewalk. It couldn't be. Could it? She felt a lump growing in her throat as the man slowly made his way towards the building's entrance. Her heart started racing.

Then the elevator suddenly dinged, and she jumped from the sound. She hurried inside and closed the doors as soon as possible. Then she pressed the highest button and took a minute to breathe.

Was that actually Mark? Why on earth would he be in National City, the other side of the country?

She leaned against the wall and closed her eyes when a memory flashed before her eyes.

"Because we're supposed to end up together. We're meant to be." Mark cried.
"Meant to be." she repeated and then she felt life slowly slipping away from her and she was pulled into the darkness.