chapter 3: REWRITE! (realization)

In the quiet halls of Zhongli's residence, Childe's recovery was a gradual ascent. One day, feeling a bit more vigor, he ventured beyond the confines of his bed. The ancient trinkets of the adepti intrigued him, each piece telling tales of ages past. Amidst his exploration, an old painting beckoned his attention. Positioned in the hallway leading to his room, it depicted a captivating girl with a blend of blondish-brunette tresses adorned in a hanfu adorned with various shades of blue. Her eyes mirrored a brilliant blue, akin to Childe's, yet lacking the sparkle that danced in his gaze. The signature revealed a profound connection: "My morning glory, My Love, And my Sunset. Guizhong - God of Wisdom."

A hushed realization gripped Childe; he sensed Zhongli's artistic hand in this masterpiece. A brief silence enveloped him until a sudden, searing pain seized his chest, a fit of violent coughing ensuing. In horror, he observed blood staining his hands, intermingled with delicate flower petals. Panic set in, and he frantically wiped away the evidence.

Determined to uncover the truth without alarming Zhongli, Childe delved into Zhongli's collection of old trinkets. Amidst the volumes, he chanced upon a book entitled "Curses of Celestia." To his bewilderment, his affliction lay within the pages of the Love section – the Hanahaki disease. A curse, it seemed, inflicted upon mortals entangled in love with divine beings. The revelation baffled Childe, for he had harbored no affection for any godly entity. Yet, Zhongli lingered in his thoughts, a truth he reluctantly acknowledged.

Distraught, Childe, now packing for a departure, scrawled a letter to Zhongli:

"Dear Mr. Zhongli,

I sincerely apologize for breaking our agreed-upon contract. I am prepared to face the consequences later on. For now, I shall distance myself from you. I have left Mora beneath your study as a token of gratitude for your kindness.

-Tartaglia"

Returning to his Liyue residence, the symptoms intensified. Blood and petals accompanied each agonizing cough. The pain threatened to consume him as he struggled to breathe normally. The disease's relentless grip compelled Childe to flee, leaving behind a part of himself and a perplexed Zhongli.

Zhongli, returning to discover the letter, observed specks of blood and petals, prompting unanswered questions. Waiting patiently for a week, he presumed Childe needed space. However, Childe's condition deteriorated, and Zhongli's anticipated visit never occurred. "Why isn't he worried for me? Why hasn't he come to visit?" Childe pondered, disillusioned by Zhongli's absence.

Struggling to maintain his duties, Childe required multiple Fatui agents for protection. One day, seeking solace by the docks, he questioned Zhongli's silence. Reflecting on his feelings, Childe gazed at his reflection in the water, haunted by the unanswered questions. A tap on the shoulder disrupted his thoughts.

"Scaramouche?" Childe questioned, surprised by the unexpected presence, aware that Scaramouche had been dispatched to Inazuma. "What?" replied the short, purple-haired man, joining Childe. "Where's your boyfriend? Hmm? You seem lonely as hell." Scaramouche's tone struck a nerve. "Boyfriend? How can you even say that?" Childe retorted, denying the implications.

"You pay for his stuff, you spoil him to the bone, you get red like a tomato whenever he calls you other than Childe. I'd be more surprised if you two aren't dating," Scaramouche insisted, a mischievous glint in his eyes. Attempting to deny the connection, Childe was interrupted by another fit of coughing, accompanied by blood and petals. Scaramouche, in disbelief, urged Childe to acknowledge the severity of his condition.

Childe, seemingly apathetic, calmly affirmed his awareness. "I know I'll die someday." Scaramouche, baffled by Childe's seemingly carefree attitude, mentioned the inevitable consequences of the Hanahaki disease – a death sentence for those afflicted. Unperturbed, Childe revealed his situation to Scaramouche. "Too bad, I've already told them my situation," he stated with a smile, sealing his fate.

The balladeer's expression shifted from disbelief to realization. Childe's acceptance of his imminent demise echoed through the dockside sunset, leaving Scaramouche with more questions than answers.