The Reveal

The group left the grove and headed west where the goblin camp was located, where the druid Halsin was supposedly being held captive. Along the way, Vex started to gather some herbs like rogue morsels and mergrass.

"What are you doing?" Astarion asked her.

"I'm getting herbs to mix for potions for healing, poisons, and maybe a couple of bombs. We're going to need them for the journey." Vex told him. Up ahead from the path there was a long narrow stone bridge.

"So, your people know how to extract the parasites?" Astarion asked Lae'zel.

"My people can extract the parasites. Another method is by blade."

"Okay. Wonderful." Astarion deadpanned. "Definitely not taking that option."

Then Vex could smell the smoke in the air from what appeared to be coming from a village just across the bridge. But before anyone could decide on what to do, everyone heard voices coming to the far right, straying from the path. Vex began to walk over towards the voices.

"Where are you going? The goblin camp is this way!" Astarion called out to her.

"I know. But there's people up ahead. They seem like they might need some help." Vex told him.

"You can't go around helping every poor unfortunate soul with whatever mess they got themselves into." Astarion spoke. Vex ignored him and continued and crouched down, sneaking closer to get a better look. There were three people up ahead. A man was lying on the ground with a serious wound while another man and woman was talking to themselves, panicking on what to do to help him. Vex got up and walked over to the group while the others followed behind her, making themselves known.

The woman raised her knife at Vex. "You! Not a step closer!" She threatened. Vex could sense something in the woman's eye and so did the others. These people were infected with the parasites as well. Vex looked down at the injured man on the ground, seeing the large gaping wound on his side, long claw marks. Vex looked back up to the woman and the other man.

"I have some knowledge in healing. His wounds look deep but I might be able to help."

"He's hurt badly. An owlbear got him deep. If there's anything you can do..." the man pleaded to her. The woman nodded but narrowed her eyes at Vex.

"I'm watching you." She warned. Vex knelt down beside the injured man and she could feel the parasite in her eye churning inside her head when the man locked eyes with her. He was trying to tell her something, his final words. He knew that he was dying. Vex held onto his stare, trying to read his mind. His name was Edowin and these two with him were his brother and sister, Andrick and Brynna. New recruits. Yours to shepherd."

"Protect them." Vex heard him spoke weakly but he looked up at his brother and sister.

"She's a True Soul. Mind her. She will...she-she..." His slowly closed and his body went limp and gasped his final breath. Andrick quickly rushed to his side.

"Edowin. Ed! Please!"

"He's with the Absolute now." Brynna murmured, softly before she looked at Vex, surprised. "You're...you're a True Soul. Edowin, our brother, he was chosen. Like you. Do you have orders for us? We were reporting to Edowin." Vex glanced at the woman and her brother with a suspicious look. It seems like these two are in a trance of some sorts, unable to control themselves. Like puppets. And who is this Absolute that these three kept mentioning?

"What is a True Soul?" Vex asked. The two of them gave Vex a shocked expression.

"What?...Are you testing us?" Andrick questioned her, giving Vex a suspicious look. Brynna did so as well.