⊱∙ acceptance ∙

It was 2 years ago when my life had completely changed, 2 years since my parents dysfunctional relationship reached its breaking point and came to an end. My parents never liked eachother, their constant bickering and heated arguments left no room for peace within the walls of the house we all lived in. They argued every chance they got, it was stressful and they always ended up getting physical. Divorce had been a topic of discussion for what felt like an eternity, yet my mother, feared that her children would be terribly affected by the divorce. My mom didn't want me and Ethan to grow up with split parents since her parents had divorced when she was little and she had struggled with it throughout her childhood.

Me and my brother, Ethan, didn't talk much. He barley ever came out of his room and he'd only come out to cover my eyes and ears when my parents would argue. I loved getting on his nerves though, i'd come in his room to bother him with my karaoke performances or rant about what happened at school that day though i was never sure if he really listened to what i had been saying.

I dragged my finger across the walls as i walked down the long hallway that connected me and my brothers room. I admired the old scratched and torn up paint that covered the walls and i admired all of the holes that my dad had created with his balled up fists. Each hole was a result of my fathers pent-up anger, he punched holes into the wall as an attempt to cope with the overwhelming frustration that followed after every argument he and my mom had. He punched the wall to refrain from punching my mom i guess.

"do we really have to leave..?" I spoke to my brother who followed me into the living room.

"Yes y/n, we'll have a fresh start and maybe you'll even find some friends for a change." Ethan spoke with his usual monotone voice.

I sighed at Ethan's words, noting the annoyed tone in his voice. I didn't want to move, i didn't want to be the new girl at my new school and i didnt feel like introducing myself to all the new neighbors. I didn't want a fresh start.

I watched as Ethan walked into the kitchen, placing headphones over his ears and pulling out his phone to play a song or something. I stared at him as he dug through the cabinets, searching for the equipment needed to make the two of us breakfast. I gave him an angry expression that he wouldn't see, him being too focused on gathering his supplies and food and having his back turned to me. Why couldn't we just stay here?

"You're gonna like it there."

what? did he see me staring at him? his back is literally turned, does he have eyes on the back of his neck or something? freak

"what?" I finally responded.

"Nockfell, the town we're moving to. You'll like it there." Ethan responded, keeping his back turned to me and pulling eggs out of the kitchen fridge.

"and how do you know that?"

Ethan sighed before responding once more. "Because you'll have the chance of making new friends and you'll have the opportunity to be a better kid in school."

"what if i dont want new friends..?"

"You need some new fucking friends, y/n."

...

Ethan suddenly pulled down his headphones, letting it rest on his neck. He places down the stuff he was holding and walks towards me with his hands in his jacket pockets.

"Y/n who do you talk to besides me?"

"my parents.." I responded, my voice becoming a low mumble since i knew exactly what he was going to say next.

"This is exactly my problem, y/n. I can't watch you try and communicate with our dead parents in their room every single day after school anymore.."

Ethan walked up closer to me, placing his hand upon my shoulder.