facemasks with mama

Chapter three

Wren.

My hair is pulled back from my face by a headband, and I'm wiping my fingers over my face, massaging this lilac semi-liquid to my face.

Me and my brother, both are face covered in face masks. It's something we do once a week or once in a while or whenever we remember to.

Us and mom have these days, moments together for bonding and quality time.

At first, we weren't the fondest of putting some shit to our faces, but growing up with Alexandra Ledger taking care of herself made that aspect intelligible.

Today, it's us three again. No dad.

Just some time for self-care and relaxing after the first week in the new school and recovering from the party.

Mom asks as she sips from her mug through a straw, "How's it in new school so far, loves?"

"So far so good" Kian rests against mom beds' headband, smiling softly at her as he crosses his arms.

"Yeah?" Ma glances at me, "You too, baby? Are you settling?"

I nod. I don't tell her about my almost anxiety attacks or how the noise and bustle has been overwhelming me.

"I'm trying, Ma"

She grins at me, "That's all that matters, Tobes"

Carmen called me last night.

I remember.

We're sharing a blunt, window slightly open, us on her bed, mom herself slouch in her armchair. Masks washed off and faces moisturized.

TV playing 'Tangled', all watching, mom occasionally skimming a magazine or a book. I don't even know how she can focus.

But like...we aren't that stoned, just a bit higher than your average...family.

"I'd get murdered if someone knew about that" Ma mutters, peeking up at us.

Kian snickers.

"Good thing we're eighteen. We can do what we want" I shrug.

"Yes, but I'm your mother not a friend, that's morally wrong" she scrunches her nose.

I joke, deadpanning, "It's not like you have any"

Mam rolls her eyes, "I know, right? Love you too, Tobes"

Mother was young when she had us, only twenty-five. I know we weren't planned, she told me. She and dad never loved us any less regardless.

Through all their own shit they struggled and are struggling with, me and my brother never got anything but love and tenderness.

They are amazing, I admit.

Suddenly, the door to mom's bedroom opens. Uncle Lucas walking in, we're all silent like nothing had happened.

Lucas is dad's younger brother. And moms' best friend since they met all these years ago.

Lucas looks at mom and then at us on her bed. He sighs and shakes his head seeing our slightly red eyes, half closed and all. Oh, and the smell of that good shit.

"Without me?"

"Thought you'd scold me or something, Luke" Mam says. "Me being flawless mother and all"

"We were just like them, Al" Lucas sits on a chair in front of a vanity desk.

"Yeah, without mothers involved"