Chapter 2

The two had been walking in silence for a long time. Ryker was still silent, their hands brushing against each other every once in a while. She hesitated but grabbed his hand, entwining her fingers with his. Her thumb gently rubbed the back of his hand, hoping it would provide him comfort. The corners of his lips turn up in a smile and he gently squeezes her hand.

"Thank you." He smiles warmly down at her. She was never one to really show affection so whenever she did, he loved it. He loved it to the ends of the earth.

"Don't mention it." She looks away, a soft blush dusting across her cheeks.

He smiles and walks towards the main hall of the town. "You think Simon will take the pills?" He looks down at Valerie as he speaks.

"He will if he knows what's good for him."

Ryker rolls his eyes and lets go of her hand as soon as they enter the building. It was filled with soldiers. Some were making food for the rations the next day. Others were just fucking around with each other and drinking. A few sat in the corner of the cigarette-smoke filled room, watching the CCTV footage around the Grid. Ryker catches a glance of a few military–grade boxes being carried into the other room. He nudges Valerie with his elbow and nods over at the boxes. She gives him a small nod to show she saw what he was looking at.

"Let's talk to Simon first. I'll try and snatch someone's key card after." She whispers. Ryker nods and leads the way, opening the door to Simon's office.

Simon was sitting at his desk, looking through some paperwork. There was a glass of whiskey in his hand and he brought the glass to his lips, downing the liquid, as they closed the door. "What do you need this time?" He asks gruffly, clearing his throat as he puts a few papers aside and into a folder.

"We wanted to bring you more supply." Ryker takes two small Ziploc bags out of his pocket and tosses them onto the desk. "I know you're running out."

Simon picks up one of the bags and inspects the pills inside. "You got these from Raven?"

"Yeah. New shipment."

Valerie glances at Ryker and then back at Simon. "We need to talk as well. Your men have been taking the piss out of all of us. They're making all of us work late hours around the Grid and not even giving us extra ration tickets. You need to get them off our backs because there have been rumors of the people attacking your soldiers." She raises an eyebrow and crosses her arms. Ryker's eyebrows raise, as if he was a bit surprised by the urgent tone to her voice.

"I can't really control the soldiers actions unless I'm constantly watching them. And I don't get paid for that." Simon looks up from his paperwork, "But if you can bring me a few more bags of the good stuff...maybe I can get them to relax with you guys a bit."

"Thank you, Si-" Valerie begins but Simon quickly interrupts.

He holds his hand up to stop her. "If the people in this Grid fight back, we will kill all of them. You make sure that word gets around before it's too late."

Valerie glares before nodding. "Just get your men off our asses." She nudges Ryker and opens the door again. Ryker follows after her, not bothering to say anything on the lines of a goodbye.

"I'm gonna take a key card. Go sit at the bar and order yourself a drink." She mumbles before walking over to a table of very drunk guards. She sits down with a supposed-to-be-drunken-but-failed grin on her face, trailing one of her hands up his arm.

He looks at her with a drunken shit eating smile, "Heyy princess." His words slurred a bit as he talked. He set his beer down on the table and focused all his attention on her face.