Chapter 7

Seven

"SO, TELL ME... Why did your father send you instead of his secretary? I'm sure he has one."

Warren first stole a glance at David before he brought his eyes back in front.

"It's because he trusts me the most." Yeah, that's the safest answer. Warren thought carefully.

"So utusan ka niya? Like always ordering you around to do these errands?" David was moving his fingers dramatically in the air as those questions were rolling out of his tongue.

Warren snapped his head towards David. His gaze turned sharp in an instant when he saw David's grin.

He's fucking with me again, trying to get a rise out of me.

"It's a task, not an errand." Warren said sternly.

"Ah, utusan nga." David countered. "Sigurado 'kang anak ka niya?" David soon followed.

What the fuck?!

Warren was flabbergasted. He stared at David in shock. David, on the other hand, snorted in amusement as he saw the same expression—a mixture of annoyed and surprised—that Warren exhibits when David says something that gags him so much.

"Mr. Ladrico," Omar looked at David through the rear view mirror. "Please refrain from teasing my boss. He doesn't take these things very well."

David's enormous belly laugh covered the whole space of the car. David threw his head back as his cheeks turned slightly red.

"You're right, man. I can totally see that," David said in between his laugh.

"I see that you're asking for a pay cut, Omar. You could've said that sooner." Warren glowered at his assistant.

The way Omar held his breath and pursed his lips together to stop himself from laughing any longer was faster than a bullet. The indifference in Warren's tone spoke gravity, and Omar knew better than to push all of Warren's buttons.

"That's dirty." David pointed out.

"Do I recall asking for your opinion?"

"Do I recall asking for your permission to speak whatever's in my mind?" David raised a brow at Warren.

Warren scoffed. "Why do you always like to bicker?"

David scoffed in return, mocking Warren in a way that he knew would not go unnoticed. "Eh bakit kasi ang iyakin mo? Biniro ka lang, kaltas agad sa sahod?"

"And why are you involving yourself with that? You're not the one who's getting the pay cut."

"Kahit na, Warren. It's so petty and immature. It was clear as day that Omar was just joking." Rason ni David pabalik.

Warren shrugs his shoulders. "Well, I'm not paying him to tell nonsense jokes around my presence. He was hired to serve me and follow all of my orders."

"Serve you?" A sarcastic laugh tore out of David's throat as he reiterated Warren's words. "Si kamahalan pala to eh."

"Well, at some point, yes. I am a royalty or an elite. My father owns a multi-industry company known as a conglomerate, and my family is considered one of the richest families in the world. Not to mention, we are starting to go multinational. I also have at least thirty-one bodyguards with me, including you—they're newly hired because my father fired my previous ones."

Warren jerked his head back. "All of them are inside those black cars following us."

David thought that's the end of Warren's long-winded statement, but he was gravely mistaken. The cat-like grin on David's lips faded into nothingness when Warren continued his words.