1

LONDON
1995

In a lobby of an ostentatious hotel. It was deserted except for two clerks at the front desk, it was the middle of the night and raining heavily outside.

The revolving doors start to swing as two children and two Korean women, Jessica and Felicity Bang enter. They're dripping wet and dragged their soaked luggage behind them. Chris slides his feet around the polished floor, leaving muddy circles behind.

The clerks look horrified at the mess the young boy did. Jessica Bang makes her way to the front desk, while complaining to Felicity about have to walk in bad weather.

"네가 우리를 걷게 하지 않았다면, 우리는 흠뻑 젖지 않았을 거야." If you didn't make us walk, we wouldn't be soaked.

Felicity grabs Hyunjin and Chris by their hand and follows Jessica to the front desk. The clerk looks at the woman in front of him, "May I help you? This is the Calthrope, a private hotel-"

Jessica goes to the front desk and replies in perfect English, with a bit of an Australian accent. "I'm Mrs. Jessica Bang. I have a reservation to the Lancaster suite." She glanced at his name tag, "We spoke on the phone when I confirmed yesterday."

The man "checks" through a reservation book and looks back at the woman, "Sorry, don't seem to have your reservation." He says.

Jessica and Felicity exchanged looks, Felicity rolled her eyes as she sensed what was going on. The hotel manager pops out of a door behind the front desk and the clerks move aside.

The manger give them a fake ass smile, "Good evening. I'm Reginald Ormsby, hotel manager. Is there a problem?"

"I'm Mrs. Jessica Bang. My family and I would like to be shown to our suite. We had a long flight." Ormsby looks at Jessica and at Felicity and the children. "We're fully booked, Madam." Jessica's polite smile dropped slowly while the man kelt his huge fake smile on his face.

"I'm sure you and your lovely family can find other accommodations. May I suggest you explore Chinatown?" The two clerks chuckled quietly behind their manager.

"넌 지옥을 탐험할 수 있어. 이 개자식아." You can explore Hell. You dog turd. Felicity rolled her eyes at the man as she cussed him in Korean, she pulled the kids closer to her.

Jessica put on a polite but her a passive aggressive smile on her face as spoke to the hotel manager once more, "Please, may I usw your phone to call my husband? It's the least you can do." She then glares at him slightly at the end as he has a tight smile.

The rain pours on the children and Felicity as they watch Jessica in a phone booth. "THE CALTHORPE" sign casts a glow over them as Jessica speaks angrily on the phone.

Jessica bursts through the door front door with her family right behind her. Jessica approaches the front desk again and the hotel manager, Ormsby, is not very pleased about it. "Mrs. Bang! I must ask you to leave, or I'll have to call the police."

"Please, go right ahead." She says, boldly to Ormsby. Chris and Hyunjin share a knowing smile of what's about to happen. Ormsby looks taken back to her bold response and he moves to stop her when the elevator dinged and opens and an elderly man in silk robe and slippers comes out. Lord Calthorpe, the owner of the Calthorpe hotel.

"Lord Calthorpe! My apologies for this disturbance-" Ormsby was quick to talk to his boss but Lord Calthorpe ignores him and goes to Jessica

"Jessica! I just got off the phone with your husband." Lord Calthorpe kisses Jessica on the cheek, and then snaps at the clerks. "Get the Lancaster suite ready. Now." The two clerks start to live around in hurry as they obeyed the orders, meanwhile Ormsby looked confused.

"Surely your joking, sir?" Ormsby says, in full disbelief and hoping to be a joke. Lord Calthorpe glares at Ormsby slightly, "I assure you, I'm not. As of this evening, my family's long history as custodians of the calthorpe has ended. I'm selling the hotel to my dear friends, the Bang Family of Seoul."

The color drains from Ormsby's face and then stares at Jessica in shock and horror. "Meet the new lady of the house, Jessica Bang." Lord Calthorpe turns to Jessica and says, "Join me for a toast."

Jessica smiles at Lord Calthorpe, "We'd be delighted." As they walk away, Jessica turns around to address to Ormsby, "Do get a mop. The floor's wet." She smirks slightly and then winks at Chris, and they begin to walk away from the lobby. Chris looks back and grins at Ormsby to tease the man.

Ormsby, who was clearly frustrated, snaps at one of his clerks, "Get a mop."

CRAZY RICH ASIANS