Didi and Diane

Radiological tests fortunately determined that you didn't have a broken jaw, but it was injured enough to make eating a painful ordeal

Radiological tests fortunately determined that you didn't have a broken jaw, but it was injured enough to make eating a painful ordeal. You had to stay home until the swelling subsided, and thankfully so, because looking at yourself in the mirror, you would vehemently refuse to go to class, knowing that everyone would use your appearance to mock you even more.

For two days, you didn't see Diana Sherman, the new teacher who soon carved out a space in your life. You missed her, but Diana was always attentive, calling and texting you. What really worried you was that the mysterious silhouette appeared every night. You stood by your window with the lights off so it wouldn't see you, but that silhouette wouldn't go away, and each time you felt like it was looking towards your window.

You didn't know for what purpose, as you considered yourself a very normal girl. And, of course, you had nothing of value that anyone would desire more than your own life. You didn't say anything; who would believe you? Even your considerate friend laughed, downplaying the matter.

Afterwards, you heard nothing from Didi, the girl who became one of your best friends. You met her through an online forum, where you wrote reflections and participated in debates, initially anonymously with a pseudonym. This gave you the freedom to express yourself without people knowing who you were, without feeling as bad as you felt at school. On the forum, Didi listened to you, and she started writing to you often, until you later encouraged a closer connection that resulted in a more intimate discord. She told you things, and you told her things, like your sexual orientation, something no one knew about you, and also your school situation.

Didi was always there, supporting you with her words, boosting your wounded self-esteem.

But since the school year started, you haven't heard anything from her, except that she was moving, and you worried if something happened to her or if she simply decided that you were no longer worth it.

You tried again; you were so bored. Eva didn't have the consideration to come visit you; she just sent you messages.

You entered Discord, reading the last conversation, and then you wrote:

"Didi, I miss you. Please, tell me something. It sounds pathetic, I know, but I feel lonely, and you're my only friend."

You felt ridiculous, especially because it was the truth. You lowered your head, and your phone started ringing. You didn't see who was calling; you just accepted the call. You needed to hear someone.

"Hello, sweetheart".

Diane's voice brought a smile back to your face. "Hi Diane, how was your day?"

"A lot of work and less bearable since you're not around. How about your day, honey? Is it still hurting a lot?"

Diane always said things that made you feel so good. In a way, somehow, she reminded you of Didi.

"Bored, very bored, and it hurts a little less because the swelling is down. I no longer look like a round loaf of bread".