Ch. 11

"you don’t even have a brain that can tell you what is okay to say and what is not.”

“Lord Sussex. You are sixty years old, are you not? I thought you were supposed to be enjoying whatever is left of your life, but you don’t seem to want to.”

“See! You’re finally showing your true colors, you stray dog.”

Just as the tone of the dialogue was about to falter, the door swung open. Both men went silent at the sight of their master showing up in front of them. It made the tense situation, that was about to blow up seconds ago, seem as if it had never happened.

Killian approached the centre of the room and sat down on a nearby couch with his long legs crossed and his hands on his knees.

“Then let’s discuss the way forward.”

—Yes?

—How can I make sure that no one controls me or my surroundings?

He was a child, after all, with a status as honorable as any in this land, and owned a tremendous fortune. Despite the calmness of his voice, Benedict thought that his face would have been filled with anger or fear. But it wasn’t. The moment he raised his head, a huge shock washed over him. The boy looked calm and composed, not angry at all. At the same time, a strong realization hit Benedict.

It was this man, Benedict thought. This was the person he had been waiting for, after such a long time; the person who would stabilize this country; the person who would create the world he wanted.

After that, he spent many years living beside him as his mentor, advisor, and aide.

“There’s something else you want to tell me, I suppose.”

It wasn’t a passing of mere years, after reading something in Benedict’s expression, Killian waited for him to speak.

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I did some research beforehand and found that Miss Chloe, the woman that the Queen proposed for you to marry, was a negotiable woman. Unlike her appearance, she is quite ambitious.”

“And?”

“According to my entourage, she’s trying to get out from under her father’s shadow and run her own business.”

Benedict, with his hands folded, added with an age-worn look on his face.

‘”If you can help her with what she desires, the marriage will be mutually beneficial to both parties. When the superficial marriage is over, without causing any unnecessary harm to Miss Philone, she would be able to sit in the position you wish for, and there will be no interference.”

“The seat I wish for her? Don’t you think that was a bit presumptuous?”

“Sorry.”

“Anyway, I won’t know this Chloe woman until I see her myself.”

Killian, having come to that conclusion, wore his coat. His words were merciless, but his expression was more loose than before.

“And that guy?”

“I’ve questioned him.”

Benedict hesitated for a moment, then continued to speak heavily.