Chapter 2 : Dread

One day later -

One day later -

Lyra POV:

(Gods, being here is annoying.) I sat in a classroom that felt like I was surrounded by idiots. No one gave a fuck about school, no one cared if parents were even called. Heck for some odd reason, when they did something like walk out of the room numerous times without even letting the teacher know, they didn't even know why she was upset. (Try using your brains morons. Yeah, I know, her rules are overly strict at times. But she's not that bad of a teacher. At least try to be respectful.) It was so loud too. No one would quiet down. I was lucky enough to be in the back corner. Instead of continuing to listen to this racket, I pulled out a textbook and began to study for my other classes, (Well, I'm not gonna get anything for this class done today. Might as well do the other things, I have a calculus test today.) As I was reading, a boy yelled from across the room, "HEY LYRA!" I ignored it. The same boy continued yelling at me, "YOU'RE SMART! HELP ME OUT!" I waved it off and continued to work on my studies. This guy was the kind of guy that wouldn't pay attention at all. I wasn't going to help him if he wasn't going to at least try to understand. I had helped people like that earlier in high school, turns out it wasn't a good idea. Ten minutes later, I was nearly done. The noise had quieted down, and with the windows open, the breeze felt wonderful. Suddenly, a flower blew in and I caught it, (Odd, the wind shouldn't be this strong.) It was a rose, I suddenly began to feel a dark dread. I don't interact with roses anymore, not since it happened. "Ironic." Said a voice from behind me, I tensed and turned around. Towering over me with their arms crossed and an icy glare covering their face was the same person I saw yesterday with Marco. Yet their eyes were normal this time, just a dark brown. The person sat down at the desk next to me and said in a bored voice, "I don't understand how people can sit in this place for seven hours each day, none of this is even worth the time." I continued to glare at the person in front of me in total silence. It was like a staring contest, neither of us blinked. For a moment, their eyes flickered yellow and they glanced at the rose in my hand, but only for a moment. The rose wilted and crumbled from my hands almost immediately. But I didn't flinch. I continued to eye this person down. They seemed surprised by this. "Well then, you're different than what I expected." I squeezed my fists while straining a smile, "Really? How so." They crossed their legs and snapped their fingers, "Easy, you're not like these humans here. And not like any demigod I've met." Their eyes flashed yellow again, the dread I was feeling earlier now made me feel like I was suffocating. Yet unlike me who felt very tense, they were at ease, relaxed even. I know she said that I shouldn't deal with them. But they came to me, I don't have a choice. I felt afraid, they could see it, they could feel it. But I still spoke with confidence as I said, "You know, I never got your name. Would you like to introduce yourself?" Now they were amused, they said, "Funny, I would have thought that spirit of his would have told you. Though it doesn't tell much, does it?" I looked away and stared at the desk. This was the first time I had the gull to even do it. "She doesn't tell us anything. We don't even know her name. And I'm willing to bet Marco doesn't know anything about yesterday. Meaning I'll have to tell him my side and see if that can pressure her enough. But even that won't work after a while." They looked intrigued, I couldn't tell what I was to them. Entertainment? A curiosity? They spoke, "Well, my name is Drannus. A pleasure to meet you, Lyra." I froze, I knew that name, Mom spoke of him so much. Still does sometimes. But this one is nothing like the one she told me of. They should have died centuries ago, right? Of course, I'm not even supposed to exist anymore, nor is Mom. And how did he know my name? Questions and thoughts went through my mind until I was snapped out of it by Drannus saying. "Lyra Argos. Guardian, Zoey Argos. No father is known of, and you consider Zoey your mother. Your name is of the city Argos, which hasn't existed for millennia. It was destroyed ages ago for unknown reasons. And a modern one takes its place, but it took centuries to repopulate." Drannus's amusement and entertained look was gone. Their gaze was emotionless, it reminded me of how Marco's eyes were when she was in control. Dead, hopeless. They continued, "So is your father a god? Or were you found, given to, from a God or Goddess? And before you question how I came across this information, I sensed you yesterday. I could tell you were a demigod immediately. I also read your file. It's information is forged." They began to slowly tap their fingers across the desk, waiting for an answer. Drannus now looked irritated. (Add that to the list of differences. Shorter temper. If only I knew what they are now.) Dong. Dong. Dong. As I had been contemplating my answer, the bell finally rang. Saving me from this situation. I grabbed my bag, and books, and quickly began to walk out of the classroom. But right as I reached the door, Drannus grabbed me by my shoulder, "You know very well who I am, don't you Lyra? Someone who doesn't know who I am goes this silent during a conversation." They said coldly. Drannus was right. I did. But all I said before I left was a question. "What happened here? What happened to all of you?" Then I pulled away and let myself get lost in the stream of students. I walked quickly, feeling tears well up in my eyes. Now able to finally breathe and relax. I may have only met them once, but once was enough. The man my mother spoke fondly of wasn't there. Instead, I saw someone devoid of hope, purpose, and joy. No longer the one who was happy and free. Like my father and mother. He was fully willing to break traditions and pass an honor to me. Now for the first time in years, I wondered, (What went wrong?)