Clay Allison

"His appearance is striking. Tall, straight as an arrow, dark-complexioned, carries himself with ease and grace, gentlemanly and courteous in manner, never betraying by word or action the history of his eventful life."

— Kinsley Graphic, December 14, 1878. 

Robert Andrew "Clay" Allison was once asked what he did for a living, and he replied, "I am a shootist." It is simply impossible to verify the multiple accounts of his numerous outrageous activities, with "news" being what it was at the time and a century intervening. Though many of the tales were highly exaggerated, if even half were true, people were right to be afraid of him.

Born with a clubfoot, Robert Clay Allison, known as "Clay," was born September 2, 1840, in Waynesboro, Tennessee, to Jeremiah and Mariah Brown Allison. His father, a Presbyterian minister, also worked in the cattle and sheep business and died when Clay was only five. Clay was said to have been restless from birth, and as he grew into manhood, he became feared for his wild mood swings and easy anger.

Clay worked on the family farm until the age of 21 when the Civil War broke out, and he immediately signed up to fight for the Confederacy, enlisting in the Tennessee Light Artillery division on October 15, 1861

His clubfoot did not seem to hamper his ability to perform active duty. In fact, he was eager to fight, sometimes threatening to kill his superiors because they would not pursue Union troops when they were running away from the battle. However, just a few months later, on January 15, 1862, he received a medical discharge from the service. His discharge papers described the nameless illness as: "Emotional or physical excitement produces paroxysmal of a mixed character, partly epileptic and partly maniacal." The discharge documents further suggested that the condition might have resulted from "a blow received many years ago, producing a depression of the skull." That head injury has been the usual explanation for Allison's psychotic behavior when drinking, perhaps explaining some of his later violent activities.

But, on September 22, 1862, Clay reenlisted in the 9th Tennessee Cavalry and remained with them until the war's end. He suffered no further medical complications and became a scout and a spy for General Nathan Bedford Forrest. He began sporting the Vandyke beard he wore the rest of his life in imitation of the flamboyant cavalry commander. On May 4, 1865, Allison surrendered with his company at Gainesville, Alabama. He was held as a prisoner of war until May 10, 1865, having been convicted of spying and sentenced to be shot. But the night before he was to face the firing squad, he killed the guard and escaped.

 But the night before he was to face the firing squad, he killed the guard and escaped