Chapter 5: The Little Lessons

(Gusion's POV)

Everyday we trained ourselves to prepare for our upcoming mission regarding the Magic Cube and in every training Hanabi played that particular song around the squad while training. It wasn't against the rule to play some music during training as long as it didn't affect anyone. However, I was curious, so I approached her after today's training. She leaned back with her hands supporting her, showing her dashing shape. She was still playing the song. "It seems like you like it that much. What's so good about it that you keep on playing it?" I said while taking a seat beside her..

"You have to learn how to interpret a song to really understand it, Emperor," she glanced at me.

"Tell me about that one. What's the meaning behind it?" I pointed at an MP3 player beside me.

"Shortly, it's about a girl who's trapped in a relationship she doesn't favor. So, she decided to break the relationship to be with a new guy only to find out that her relationship with the new guy will have to end as well," she explained

"You really like that kind of song?" I glared at her in surprise.

She let out a little laugh, "It's fun to encode song lyrics. I used to do it with my brother."

"Well, you can teach me, so we can have fun together, solving some lyrics," I raised his eyebrows enthusiastically..

"I wish you had some time for that," She said. I thought for a while as I was filtering my schedule, which was not that much.

"One hour will do?" I asked.

"It will," she smiled

Later that day, she took me to a walk near the lake where she would teach me how to encode song lyrics. We both sat on a bench. She told me that she wasn't actually an expert on this kind of stuff and would explain based on the little knowledge she knew and of course I didn't mind because I wasn't here for the 'lesson', just wanted to spend time with her.

"Most songs use metaphors, so we have to pick out some phrases and 'translate' them before we get the whole meaning of the song. For example 'out of the woods' means out of danger. That's a simple one, and..." she used a lot of examples in our 'little lessons'. It's funny to think I would be willing to listen to this kind of trivial lecture, because I would not do it with others.

"Wow. So much for just a song," I glared at her, amazed at how words actually had the ability to contain so many messages.

"Yet, there are some songs that use simpler lyrics, not too much metaphor, but it's plotting..." She was searching for song examples on her phone. "Plot-ting..." she found one and opened the web, "Plotting events in the structures," she said as she showed me another example.

"So, it's just like reading some books?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Well, not really. It has patterns. You read the whole verses, then the bridge, then the conclusion always in the chorus. You just follow that pattern," she explained briefly.

"That's it?" I raised my eyebrows and she nodded.

"To plot the stories, you need to find the events. Verses contain various events like this verse talking about 'I met you when I was in my lows', then next verse talks about 'I start to believe in love again', then we continue to 'you have a change of hearts', etc, etc. After that, on the bridge you can usually find the connecting points like this example that says 'the more love comes, the more I break, cause everytime I love I end up losing them'. Then here in the chorus it says something like 'love breaks me and tears me apart. They're all taken my heart as now I end up being heartless," she explained and I immediately understood.