Chapter 21 - Aftermath

Morgan

"Hey, you're back," Kat says as I open the door to the dorm. She's lying on the bed, reading. "How was the birthday celebration?"

"So much fun." I drop my bag on the floor and sit on the bed. "He had no idea what we had planned, and it turned out so good. What about you?"

"I got drunk." Kat gives me a mischievous smile. "Not as drunk as JD, though. I've never seen him get that wasted. I'm glad you texted me because he was just standing outside when we found him."

"I know. It was so weird."

"What did he say to you?"

My stomach clenches and I try to seem unaffected as I shrug. "It was mostly just drunk ramblings."

Kat's eyes stare into space, and she bites her lip. "Do you think it was my fault? He didn't like the idea of me coming with them to the party."

"No," I say and lie down. "It wasn't your fault. He needs to adjust to the fact that you're an adult."

"At least I have some leverage over him now." The smile on Kat's face is about as evil as I can imagine her ever looking.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he passed out in the car on the way home. And what kind of sister would I be if I didn't take full advantage of that?"

I frown at her and she smiles even bigger and grabs her phone as she comes to sit next to me.

"I must have been quite drunk myself, otherwise I never would have done it."

She shows me a picture of JD passed out in the back of the car. She scrolls through several almost identical pictures, some more blurry than others.

"I figured I could get some blackmailing material."

The next image is Brick carrying him bridal style.

"This way, if he ever acts up, I can just threaten to show them to mom and dad."

There's a photo of JD hugging a pillow in his bed. Then there's some of Kat putting makeup on him.

"I had some more crazy ideas, like putting him in a dress, but Brick talked me out of them."

"I had no idea you had this in you," I say and look at her with pride.

"It stopped being fun after this." The last picture is of JD with his head in the toilet. Kat wrinkles her nose. "I'm so glad I don't have to clean that."

She puts her phone away.

"Are you really going to show your parents?"

The mischievous smile is back. "Probably not, but he doesn't have to know that. Let him have something to worry about for once."

"Evil. I love it."

"I still don't understand why he called you. Unless there's something going on?" She raises her eyebrows hopefully.

"No, Kat. No. Don't even go there. I'm doing my best to tolerate him for your sake. That's it. We both agreed the kiss was a mistake. There is nothing else going on."

"Then why was he asking if you have a boyfriend?"

"What? When did he do that?"

"Earlier in the week. Tuesday, I think. When I had dinner there. And again last night, between bouts of throwing up."

The night he stopped by the dorm. He mentioned a boyfriend from Rivers that time but wouldn't explain what he meant.

"Why would he think I have a boyfriend, anyway? I mean, not that it matters. We're not dating or anything. We just hung out. But I would have mentioned a boyfriend before spending the day with another guy."