Chapter 15

I sat into my car and said a little prayer. It was on its last leg. Half the time it coughed to life instead of started. I needed a new one, but didn't want to buy one here if I was going back to L.A. or over to Australia. I barely got it started.

Now I was pushing it. It started to smoke but I kept going. Sure, Gladis was probably fine, but she had been basically my best friend for the last three months. She had helped me heal from the Dusty thing, she was my shoulder to cry on for the William thing, and she was always around to cheer me up, or just hang out. Now she might need me, and I was damned sure going to return the favor.

The car died a block from the hospital. It needed water. Well, what it needed was a new radiator, but water could get it further. Not bothering, I got out and started hoofing it. I didn't want to run because I was in new shoes and they would tear up my feet, so I walked quickly. I was still a limping, sweaty mess by the time I got there.

One step through the automatic sliding glass doors had me hesitating. I hated hospitals. I hated the death I could find here. Even that blast of smell, the sterilized musty odor, had my stomach turning in knots and trying to purge.

Gladis was in here though, and she needed me to be strong. She needed a friend, not a wimp. Steeling my courage, I plowed through the square halls along the shiny white floor.

As I finally walked through the door to her room I ran into Lady.

She reared like a spooked horse. "Jessica!"

"Sorry-"

"Jessica, this place is filled with morons!" Lady seethed with her hands on her hips. "Thousands of dollars a day and no one can get a cup of water. Useless!" She stepped around me and walked out the door at a brisk, determined pace.

I glided into the room, trying not to touch anything hospital, including the floor. Gladis lay in the horrible barred bed, her gray hair wispy against the pillows. She looked so small and fragile.

I curled my hands into fists, focused all my bearing on not crying. On not succumbing to my panic. And mostly failing. "Hey Gladis."

She opened her eyes. "Quit cryin' girl, I'm not dyin'!"

I smiled through my tears. "Sorry. What happened?"

She chuckled. "I fell down the stairs. In my youth everyone would think that my husband was beatin' me. Now they just think I'm clumsy."

"Nah, in the past they just said to your face they thought your husband was beating you. They really thought you were clumsy your whole life!"

I dragged a chair to her bedside.

"S-so..." I stammered. "What's wrong with you?"

"I sprained something or other. They thought it was a broken hip at first, but there wasn't that much damage. Just careless was all."

I nodded. Lady came back in with some water followed by a nurse.

Gladis asked Lady, "Did you let the kids know?"

Lady nodded.

"How long ago?"

"A little over an hour."

"Did you leave a message or talk to them?"

"Messages."

"Hmph." Gladis turned back to me with a glower. "You watch, Jessica. One of them will show up, check in, and then report back to the others. They are just waiting for me to check out of life so they can cash in!"

"Don't talk like that Ms. Peek. That ain't the way t'all," Lady said. It sounded like she'd said it a million times.

Gladis rolled her eyes at me. "Just wait and see."