chapter 4

Maryam POV:

I took another glance at myself before putting on my hijab and heading downstairs. My father had called a family meeting with my uncles after my conversation with them this morning.

I know is cruel of me to do this but is the only way. I can't get married to a man that doesn't love me and I can't continue to be in a one sided love desperately hoping for my beloved husband to fall in love with me someday, it would only make me suffer.

I can hear them deliberating about the whole issue.

I still haven't returned Ahmad calls. I mean, what else does he want. Is best if I just put an end to this madness. I sighed before heading to the sitting room for breakfast.

I said my salam before entering the room and squatted a bit while greeting my uncles. I headed towards the kitchen to get my breakfast but as luck would have it, I was called back to the living room by one of my uncles .

I respectfully sat on the carpet while folding my legs with my head down. This is going to be a long one I thought.

"Your father told us about your decision. Nana ( as they always call me) know that we won't force you but you were the one that accepted the proposal and you were asked if you loved him and you said yes so tell us why this because as far as we are concerned there is not any sign of bad behavior with your would be husband and also not any from his family. Why do you want to break the marriage agreement now?"

"Convince us so we know what we will tell them and if we are going to cancel the wedding" another said.

I know that this is going to be a difficult one considering how people look at us in the society. If the wedding is broken, my family and I will face a serious backlash must especially me.

People will say a lot, people will talk and it might affect my chances at marriage but I would rather play with fire than jump into it.

"We are listening" said another

"I do not love him" silence befell the room. I know that is not enough to convince them but what else should I say, I can't lie about him or his family. I would rather take the whole blame than to hurt him.

What an irony to be thinking about his wellbeing and reputation after all he has done.

"How stupid you think we are for you to say that. Don't tell me you have another that is deceiving you. You better tell us the truth before we deal with you".

Can't they see that I am struggling with this too? They should just grant my wish and stop probing further. I looked at my father with pleading eyes begging for his understanding but he simply looked away.

"How about we call Alhaji Mahmud and request for their presence" one of my uncles suggested.

I quickly looked at him with panicked filled eyes but none of the paid me attention.

I watched as my father dialed Ahmad's father number and listened to their conversation. This is definitely not going as I planned.

"Leave , we have no use for you for now" my father instructed.

I slowly got up from the carpet and headed towards my room. There is no way I can chew breakfast now without throwing up.

                    ****************
"Big sis your attention is needed downstairs"

I slowly rose from my sleeping position and looked over at Humaira (my immediate younger sister) and nodded. She gave me a tight smile before lying on her bed

"Think thoroughly about your decision before going ahead with your plan. Think about the family and also your future" I looked at her and gave her a blank stare, if only she knows the truth.

Silence filled the room the minute I walked in. I greeted Ahmad's family and sat close to my mother.

"Nana, how about you explain your wish to them" one of my uncles said

There is no way I am going to repeat what I said. Seeing that I wasn't ready to talk, my uncle decided to explain the situation to them. Silence filled the room once again leaving everyone with their thoughts.

"Did you put her to this? Did you force her to do this? How can you do this to her?" Said Ahmad's mother

I quickly debunk any further thoughts and questions thrown at him and accepted the whole blame. The look Hajiya Zainab gave me was that of " don't you dare cover up for him". A look that suddenly turned into that of pity.

I know she loves me like her own daughter but I can't go further with this. I know I don't know the full story yet but I know is not a pretty one. All I know is that he doesn't love me.

Conversation continued with our parents and relatives throwing questions at us and the both of us not giving the right answers to convince them.

I can feel my throat tightening with each question and hurtful words thrown at me. I know I was beginning to have a panic attack and a serious chest pain.

Why can't he just love me? Am I not good enough? Why did he do this ? Was he forced?

I released a pained gasp when I could no longer hold the pain. My pained gasp brought them back to their senses as they watch me struggling to breath.

The last thing I remember is taking in a sharp and painful breath before darkness evolved me.

                               ***
Ok I know this is a very short chapter 😔but I will try to make up for this in the next chapter 😊 i.e if I am able to get a few comments from y'all😉.

Comments will determine if I should continue with the book😊