A Dance Between A Pirate and A Princess (Puffychu)

It wasn't often the Antarctic Empire was able to throw a ball, especially not a masquerade ball. It made sense, the empire was more militaristic than most other countries. But Niki's brother Wilbur was gifted in diplomacy, and her father was never against the idea of settling things with words before he went with violence. Her mother was greatly amused by the bloodshed though, so that probably didn't help their reputation. Combine that with the harsh climate of the Antarctic Empire, and that didn't help encourage visitors.

Niki could see her brothers now, recognizable despite the masks for the masquerade. Techno and Tommy were terrifying anyone who looked like they wanted to approach her, and Wilbur trailed behind them to soothe any diplomatic relationships.

It only made Niki fight down any giggles that threatened to escape.

However, her attention couldn't remain on her brothers for long.

"May I have this dance?"

A woman stood behind Niki. This woman wore a deep red dress with a high-low skirt that revealed her elegant but practical boots. It was different than what every other noble wore. If Niki was being suspicious, she would assume that the dress was actually a detachable skirt.

Niki smiled and curtsied in greeting, "You may. To whom am I speaking with?"

"You know me well enough, little bird," the woman smiled as she pulled the princess closer.

Niki's eyes widened at that, "Puffy?"

"The one and only," Puffy laughed as she slowly led Niki though the dance hall, "I heard about this little party, and I wanted to see how my favorite lady was doing."

"You're going to get yourself arrested! You're a wanted criminal!" Niki hissed.

Puffy shrugged, "Only if I get caught. It's a masquerade ball, little bird, no one will recognize me with the mask."

Niki frowned at that. Puffy and her had known each other for a while. It started when Puffy accidentally kidnapped her briefly (Niki's own fault really, she had boarded the wrong ship without anyone noticing). Ever since then, the pirate had been a part of Niki's life in one way or another. Niki had been caught up in more and more of the pirate's shenanigans the longer time went on, only escaping criminal associations due to her father being the emperor.

Puffy, however, had no such immunity.

Niki let Puffy twirl her to the rhythm, "You're playing a dangerous game, Captain."

"And you're not familiar with dangerous games?" Puffy teased, "Face it, little bird, you're more of a pirate than a princess."

"Are you here to kidnap me, Puffy? Whisk me away to your ship so you can sail away?" Niki asked.

"I'm here with an offer, actually. And potentially, a farewell," Puffy said instead.

That left a sinking feeling in Niki's stomach.

"A farewell?"

"Me and my crew are heading out. We won't be back in these waters for a year at least," Puffy said.

"Oh..."

Logically, Niki knew that as a pirate Puffy couldn't afford to get too predictable. That Puffy needed to travel and see the world, that Puffy couldn't stay just because of some princess. Yet that didn't stop Niki from being disappointed and a little hurt. Feelings that she didn't want to admit yet simmered below the surface.

"I want you to come with me," Puffy continued.

Niki looked up at her, "What?"

"Come see the world with me, little bird," Puffy smiled, "I want you to join my crew."

"You want me to abandon my duty to my people?" Niki asked.

"You have three brothers, as well as your mother and father. I think your empire will be fine. But at the end of the day, it's your choice. I won't make you," Puffy replied.

Niki found herself hesitating for a moment. Could she really give up her life for Puffy? The life she lived was privileged, Niki could admit that. Could she give up the luxuries she had gotten used to? No, more than that. It wasn't the luxuries she'd miss; it was her family. Her brothers, her father and mother. Could she truly abandon them? That seemed impossible.

At the same time, could she abandon Puffy? Niki had only known her for a few years, yet the princess couldn't deny that she felt drawn towards the pirate. The pirate made her feel different, made her feel free. And the offer to see the world was tempting as well. What would it be like to see flowers outside of the few that bloom in the harsh snowy climate of the Antarctic Empire? It must be so beautiful.

Niki sighed, "That's not an easy choice for me to make."

Another twirl that flowed into a dip that left Niki blushing, "I won't get hurt if you don't choose me. We'll see each other again, in a year or so."

"It's hard because I want to choose you," Niki said as she was pulled back up.

"Niki..." Puffy blushed as she pulled the princess close.

"I mean it. I want to see the world, and I want to spend more time with you," Niki replied, "I'd miss my family, and I know that... but I want to be with you..."

Puffy smiled, "Then we might want to hurry."

That caused Niki to nearly pause their dance.

"Why?"

"Because I can tell that your brothers are starting to get suspicious of us dancing," Puffy said, a hint of laughter in her voice, "And I'd rather not have to get into a fight."

Niki looked around and quickly saw what Puffy had been talking about. There her brothers were, Techno had a suspicious scowl on her face, while Tommy just mimicked him probably for the sake of it. Wilbur was talking with someone else, a man that Niki recognized as Puffy's First Mate, but he occasionally glanced over towards Niki before his attention had been stolen by the charming man he chatted with.

"Well then, I guess we should leave quickly," Niki stated.

Puffy laughed, "Alright, little bird. I'm going to bow and leave you alone on the dance floor, through the west exit. Can you follow me after a few minutes?"

Niki grinned, "Aye aye, Captain."

"Okay, smartass."