Chapter one

November, 1941
"Here, rub your hands over the fire." Her Grandfather said, as he took Emmeline's cold, small skinny hands into his big, sturdy ones. He placed them over the fire and watched him as he rubbed his hands over the fire, so she began mimicking his movements. Emmeline shivered as the cold seeped through her clothes, causing goosebumps all over her arms and legs. Grandfather took in a deep breath, inhaling the aroma of the smoke, and noticed Emmeline shivering. "I'll get you something." He said and patted her on the shoulder. With that, he got up and fumbled around in the tent, and finally came out a few moments later smiling, with a thick wool blanket in his arms. Grandfather shook out the blanket, and placed it over Emmeline's shoulders, "This should keep you warm."
"Thanks, Grandpa."
"Of course, sweetheart."

Then, just as Grandpa Berny was sitting down, he heard men's voices coming from the east side of them. Oh no! He Jumped up quickly, alerted. "What's wrong?" Emmeline asked in confusion. "Shhh. We must be quiet." Grandfather said, whispering in all breath while beating the fire out.
Once the fire was out, he quickly grabbed two brown duffel bags that had supplies that would last roughly a week and thrust them into Emmeline's arms. "Go. Run as fast as you can. If you find anything that'll hide you, stay there, I'll be right behind you. Go!" Grandpa's voice was ragged as he said it, shaking from the inside out.
"But--"
"No 'but' just go."
Defeated, Emmeline had no other choice, but to obey, so she fled west. Berny watched as she fled for a couple of minutes, then no more than a couple minutes had passed when he started off trailing behind her.

                                                                                          ~~~~~~

About five minutes or so passed, and still no sign of Grandfather. Emmeline grew more anxious with each passing minute and started regretting leaving Grandpa behind. No more than 10 minutes later, Emmeline made up her mind and decided to go search for him. But, just as she was reconsidering it, Grandpa Berny appeared from the shrubs and vines. He was looking franticly around, then Emmeline spotted him and started waving her arms, trying to grab his attention. Berny saw them and recognized the small hands, and quietly ran to them. He jumped over the mount, and slumped right down beside Emmeline, gasping for breath. Emmeline could hear voices in the distance coming closer and began shivering again. Fear crawled up her spine, "Wha-what happened, w-who were those people?" Emmeline asked, in concern, her voice was trembling as she spoke.
"Nazi soldiers, three of them." He said, wide-eyed.
"Nazi soldiers?"
"Yes. They're under Hitler's control."
Emmeline thought for a moment, then said, "German?"

"Yes."
Emmeline began thinking deeply, then suddenly said, "Why are we running?"
"They're our enemies. They despise Jews, especially their leader."
"Hilter. But why us Jews?"
"It--It's complicated, now stop asking questions."