Chapter one| James

It was Friday. James Lanier was sweeping the floor of the warehouse. James had worked for Fountains Furniture company for 2 years. He helped load and unload delivery trucks full of furniture. James had problems with complex things, numbers and how they add. Words and how the fit into sentences so he could explain to people why Martin Luther King would have made a great Vice President. But he never could. And never would. But James could open boxes, remove the furniture from inside and assemble it to perfection. He swept with the same effort. James liked to leave things clean. So when the next day came, things were as they should be. Many people called him a Teddy Bear because of his size, but it didn't bother him. His size was his one protection. It fooled the world and made it stand back. James liked that distance. So he swept.
At 4:30 Mr.Fountain called James phone, which began vibrate in his
pocket. He adjusted the rear view mirror as living in this sometimes confusing world causes one to double check your surroundings, then located his phone. Mr. Fountain wanted to speak with him. He wanted to catch him before he left the warehouse but was unsuccessful. James opened the door to his 99 Honda Civic to get out. He walked the 25 yards from his car to the office, noticing the birds on the power line and wondering why they never were electrocuted. It made him feel better to know they were ok, even if it didn't make sense. He walked straight into Mr Fountains office as the door was open and the secretary had already left. Mr. Fountain asked him to sit down. James sat in the chair right in front of Mr. Fountains desk. He noticed the weird shaped clock behind the desk. No numbers. Just letters on this clock. He wasn't sure why.
"Mr.Fountain, why did you call me?" James questioned, shifting uncomfortably in his chair. His boss's intimidating gray eyes stared straight at James face. Mr.Fountain sighed and opened his desk drawer.
"Mr.Lanier have you truley been working your best on your work?" James glanced down at the floor nervously, bitting his lip.
"Umm... I don't know sir." He mumbled, making Mr.Fountain raise an eyebrow. James boss was extremely serious and intimidating, with his gray hair and gray eyes. Finally, Mr.Fountain picked up a envelope out of the desk drawer, with a steamed red stamp on the front flap.
"Look James, I am very sorry to do this, but your fired. It's not just you, it's almost all of our younger employees. Goodbye, Mr.Lanier." James couldn't believe what he was being told. Really? What did James do to be fired?
"I-I have to go." James said, stumbling out of his chair. Mr.Fountain stood up and reached out for James hand. "Wait! James! We need to discuss the final paycheck-" James quickly cut him off, pulling his hand away.
"No! Leave me alone!" James ran out of the office, scattering across the front lawn. The world started to turn blurry, as he stumbled towards the car. No. He couldn't take it. Slowly, he started to sink down into the soft grass of the front lawn.
He began to cry like a child, but he did not care. Tears brimmed the edge of his eyes, his cheeks were red, and his legs were shaky. This world was always so confusing some times. James just seemed so vulnerable compared to all of those strong tough guys. It was now 6:34, and the sun had set.
As tears fell down his cheek, he looked up into the bright sky. Sparkling white stars were shining above him, next to a bright yellow moon. Suddenly, James had an idea. A great one. Taking one last look at the sky, he stood up and jumped into his car. This idea was sure to change his life for good.
Finally, he arrived at his apartment. The New York streets were busy, so it took half an hour to arrive to the main part of Manhattan from the outskirts of New York. As he pulled into the nearly empty apartment parking lot, he looked up at the building. The three floors of the building had lots of windows, with new bricks on the wall. Jumping out of the car, James ran up the stairs, inside his apartment. Once inside he took a moment to get his bearings, he slowed down. He began to realize how his world had changed, the things in his apartment now seemed different. Like they were now temporary, because with no job meant no possessions. James quickly came back to his idea. An idea that would change him and many others. It was so simple. It was so beautiful. It solved so many questions. He walked over to his dining room table grabbing pen and paper. He sat down. He began to write.