Chapter one

'River, Pip, you sure you want to do your project on this?' Leanne Amobi asked.

'Yes, mom. We're sure.' She sighed. River just nodded quietly, her dark brown hair falling in front of her face.

'Alright.' Leanne had a concerned look on her face.

'River, come and play video games with me?' Josh begged.

'Sorry, not right now buddy. Maybe later.' River replied.

'Barney!' River called softly. The golden retriever ran up at his name, sitting at River's feet obediently. 'Let's go, bubble.'

River started walking after Pip. 'So what's the plan?'

'I don't know, just ask him questions, I guess?' Pip suggested.

'Oh hell no. I'm not talking! What if I overstep?'

'What if I overstep?'

'Nope, nuh uh.' River objected.

'River, I will go back to calling you running. Anyways, we're almost there.' Pip responded. Yes, she used to call her running, as in running river.

Pip stepped up to the door and knocked, River slightly behind her. The door opened and River heard the clatter of a chain and the click of a double lock.

'Hello?' A man said. Ravi Singh. River remembered. Sal's little brother. River's eyes connected with his for a split second before they went back to Pip. 'Hello?' He repeated.

'Um...' Great way to start, Pip. 'Um, sorry, hi.' Oh kill me now, this is painful.

'Hi?' Ravi was as confused as River. Pip opened her mouth and River immediately regretted life. Oh she's gonna fuck this up horribly.

'Hi, Ravi.' Pip responded. 'I... you don't know me... I'm Pippa Fitz-Amobi. I was a couple years below you at school before you left.'

'Ok...'

'I was just wondering if I could borrow a jiffy of your time? Well not a jiffy... Did you know that a jiffy is an actual measurement of time? So, could you maybe spare a few sequential jiffies?' Pip rambled. Oh my god, I should've done the talking.

'What?' Ravi asked confused, once again glancing at River, who just shrugged.

'She means can we speak to you for a few minutes.' River translated.

'So, we're doing our EPQs at school and-' Pip started again, only to be cut off.

'What's EPQ stand for?' Ravi inquired.

Who fucking knows? 'Extended Project Qualification.' Pip replied, slightly annoyed at being cut off. 'Its a project you work on independently, alongside other A students. You can pick any topic you want.'

'Oh. I never got that far in school.' Ravi said. 'Left as soon as I could.' Well I would if I fucking could.

'Er, well I was wondering if you'd be wiling to be interviewed for my- our- project.'

'What's it about?' His dark eyebrows hugged closer to his eyes.

'Um... it's about what happened five years ago.'

Ravi exhaled loudly, his lip curling up in what looked like pre-sprung anger.

'Why?' He said, his eyes meeting River's as she spoke up.

'Because we don't think your brother did it. And we're going to try and prove it.'

✦✦✦

Hello my fellow aliens. The fact that in the middle of this I thought it was a Damon Salvatore fanfic-