001

CHAPTER 001

The roar of engines filled the air as Nova slid into the driver's seat, her eyes focused on the winding track ahead. The sun painted streaks of gold across the sky, the visor of her helmet reflecting the intensity of the moment.

The race started, and Nova's sleek black car surged forward with controlled aggression. She expertly handled the tight turns, her hands dancing over the steering wheel.

The competition was fierce, but Nova was no amateur, her reputation as a prodigy on the asphalt had earned her the respect of even the most seasoned racers.

As the laps ticked by, Nova's concentration remained unbroken. The wind carried the scent of petrol and diesel.

Her heart pounded in sync with the powerful engine beneath her, racing like you'll die at any moment is the only thing that makes her feel alive, as if nothing else matters other than making out of here as the victor.

The final lap loomed, and Nova found herself neck-and-neck with her closest rival, a blood red coloured car. The crowd's cheers blended into a chaotic symphony, urging the competitors toward the grand finale. With a burst of speed, Nova surged ahead, the finish line teasingly close.

In a breathless moment, she crossed the finish line just seconds before the red car that followed her right behind, the checkered flag waving triumphantly. The crowd erupted into cheers, celebrating Nova's victory.

"The winner is Pearl from team Red!" The announcer's voice echoed through the cheering crowd, but Nova, instead of basking in the glory, swiftly emerged from her car, her focus on the damage inflicted during the intense race. A muttered curse escaped her lips as she examined the deep scratch that marred the sleek surface of her precious car.

Leonard Astridell, also her best friend and her said rival, stepped out of his car removing his helmet, the strands of his silver highlights fell on his forehead, his eyes meeting hers, a smile on his face as he waved to the crowd. "You beat me in the race," he said as he approached her.

Nova's gaze narrowed as she shot back, "And I'm gonna beat you up again for the damage you did to my car!"

Leonard, seemingly unfazed, retorted, "Hold on, what damage? You don't mean this puny ass scratch by damage, do you?" Nova's eyes blazed with fury. "A puny ass scratch? You hurt my precious baby!"

"Also which lunatic competes with their own teammate in the middle of a race!"

"Don't feel so down, we won anyways," Leonard tried to console her, placing an arm on her shoulder. Nova, not in the mood for sympathy, twisted his arm behind his back.

"Maybe I'll feel better if I beat you up bit by bit."

"Ah, urgh, wait! I'll repair it for free, I'll do it myself, spare me your highness," Leonard pleaded. Nova, satisfied, released her grip, and Leonard breathed a sigh of relief.

"How about an after-party to celebrate 'our' victory?" Leonard suggested, attempting to lighten the mood. Nova, still stern, replied, "Nah, I gotta go. Mom called me to come back now."

"Next time," she added, tossing the keys to him.

Instead of taking a cab Nova decided to walk to her apartment, a 20-story building that stood tall against the cityscape. Entering the elevator, she exchanged small nods with neighbors she recognized, the elevator ascended.

Upon reaching her apartment, she stepped into the spacious living space with two bedrooms, a storage room, and a vast hall. "Mom, I'm back," Nova announced, trading her sport shoes for slippers on the doormat.