prologue

"Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present this years victor of The Hunger Games, Finnick Odair!"

The voice boomed loudly from the screen as we stood watching in the courtyard of district four. You would think there would be celebration, clapping, hugging. But, no. For the most part, we all stood in partial silence as we watched Finnick take the silver shining trident out of the chest of the girl from district ones chest, panting heavily. 

I couldn't seem to take my eyes off the screen. This was not the Finnick that I had grown up with, the boy who I use to search for sand dollars with along the beach, the boy that taught me how to swim in the ocean when we were only five years old, the boy who stole crab meat from his own father to help feed me during the winter. 

No, this was a different boy I was looking at, as he stared down at his final victim, trident still in hand. 

The screen cut to a different scene, the commentators of the games, one with gleaming blue hair and the other with polished white. They boasted about Finnick, the youngest victor to ever win, how glorious it was that he had murdered so many other children

I had to get out of there. 

I turned quickly and made my way through the crowds of people, eventually slipping through between two buildings and walking quickly between them. I've always had a skill of going unnoticed, so I don't hesitate to weave through the empty streets with broken concrete, silently escaping. 

If they catch me leaving, I'm probably dead. That was the thought that ran through my mind as I glanced behind me to see if anyone had spotted me. They hadn't. So I continued. 

I don't fully remember how I eventually made it to the shore. I walked slowly along the gravel until slowly migrating to the sand. It was beginning to be summer, the sand still a bit warm as I walked parallel with the water. 

I stop walking abruptly when I realize I am almost at the rocks in the corner of the cove. 

The cove was the last place I spoke with Finnick before the reaping. I feel my jaw clench a bit as I make myself start walking again. 

I hesitate a bit before stepping on to the large rocks in front of me, taking a seat on the large flat rock where he and I would often sit to talk. I look at the empty space next to me, running my hand over it slowly. 

I wonder if we will ever sit here together again. The thought that crosses my mind. I shake my head a bit and remove my hand from the rock. 

"It's all going to be different now." I mumble to myself as I pull my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. "It's all going to be different." 

---

I have no idea what I am doing but welcome to the story 

For context, Maren and Finnick are both 14 at this specific part. They had been friends since they were little because Finnick's family helped Maren's family after the death of her mother (childbirth when she was only 4) 

This will be a PLATONIC story between them. That might change lol but I'm like 98% sure it will only be platonic. 

Let me reiterate that I have literally no plan for this. It will be a separate games, eventually leading into the time line that follows the original trilogy. 

The first few chapters are relatively short, but once we get into the games they'll be longer. 

I will write 4/5 chapters in advance and post them all at once when they are all done, hopefully giving whoever actually reads it more to read rather than rush to finish a single chapter and get it up. I don't have an actual schedule honestly, and if this eventually picks up and gets readers, I'll actually make one and stick to it.