Chapter 1

'Ivy,' Her friend, Mallory, shouts excitedly. She runs up to Ivy and they embrace. 'I'm so glad to see you! I haven't seen you since the third grade!'
'I know!' Ivy replies, jumping up and down. 'Oh, Mallory! There's so much we need to do to catch up. How about we meet at the mall in an hour and my mom can drive us to my place to talk.'
'Okay!!' Mallory screams, jumping up and….

I crumpled the paper up and tossed it into the trash before returning to my bed, where stray papers littered my bed.
I am working on a book. A chapter book, precisely. A chapter book about a girl named Ivy moved away for a while, and then came back. She runs into her old best friend she hadn't seen since this grade, and they become friends again. Then, Ivy runs into a guy that has picked on her for ages, and they end up falling for each other.
I just think I have writer's block, and it's not helping me any.
"Aven," my mom calls for me. "Can you come here?"
I get up with a frustrated sigh, and walk to the kitchen. "What?"
"Can you please take your brother down to the park? And while you're at it, can you please go to the store and buy some sour cream? We're out, and I need it for my new recipe called Fresas Con Crema I found on the Internet." My mom smiles, slicing strawberries.
I grumble. "Fine. But can I get myself a soda?"
"Yes, but make sure to buy your brother one also."
I nod, and rush into my brother's room.
"Let's go!" I command.

"Dennis," I scolded my brother, grabbing a toy out of his hands. "No touching!"
"But Aven!" Dennis whined. "Can I puh-wease have it??"
Dennis is one of those kids that have multi colored eyes. His right eye is blue while the other is brown, unlike my gray-blue eyes. We also have curly brown locks that curl down to our earlobes (mine curls to my chin). This makes him look like a curly mop.
He may be seven, but he still has that cute face specialty. The one kids give when they want their way. Another word for it is Puppy Eyes and Sad Face.
He always gets away with stuff using his cute face, and I always hate it.
That's what he's trying to use on me right now. But I know better.
"No," I say, sitting on a shelf he can't reach. "If you want a soda, you better be good."
I grab his hand and start to walk over to the dairy section, but he drops to the ground.
"I can't walk, my feet hurt!" Dennis whines, making people stare.
I pull Dennis up to his feet, and crouch down at his level. "If your feet hurt, then you don't need to go to the park afterwards."
Dennis looks at me for a second, not saying anything.
I go to stand back up when, all of a sudden, he wraps his arms around my neck and his legs around my waist. "I want to be carried!"
I almost fall in surprise, but regain my balance and grumble. "Fine." I say, situating him on my hip so I can carry him. "But only until we get to the park, okay?"
Dennis gives me a big toothy grin. "Otay!"
I pay for the sour cream and sodas, and we get out of the store.
I give Dennis the bag that contained our stuff, and tell him to hold it in his lap while he gets carried.

At the park, I sit the bag on one of the picnic tables and watch Dennis play.
"Watch me, Ave!" He shouts, launching himself down the slide and hard onto the ground.
"Are you okay, Dennis?" I ask.
"Man, that was so much fun!" Dennis laughs, getting up. "I'mma do that again!"
I sit down on the picnic table bench, and grab out my phone to goof around on.
That's when the guy came up. I looked over, and found myself connecting eyes with the guy that had Jupiter. I have no clue what his name is, or much about this guy, but I do know that he has a dog…and apparently he has siblings. Or maybe it's his children, though he looks too young to have children.
"Sylvia," he said to the five year old girl, who was throwing wood chips at her brother. "Stop throwing stuff at Jake."
I look back down at my phone, feeling strange all of a sudden.
I felt sick, like something was in my stomach fluttering around. I also felt nervous and self-conscious, and couldn't stop making my leg bounce or stop fiddling with my pop socket.
What is wrong with me?
Sylvia curiously looks over at me with her dark blue eyes, and she grabs a piece of her hair while running over to the guy.
I watch her as she runs under the picnic table, and he looks under it.
"What're you doing?" I barely hear him mumble.
I watched them play around a bit before Sylvia decided to go play with Jake. I watched her run over to him when I felt eyes on me. I looked over at the guy and connected eyes with him. He just stared at me, but I couldn't tell if it was good or bad.
I looked away, feeling even more self-conscious and nervous.

We stayed there for a while, Dennis staying pretty much away from the kids.
"Can we go now?" Dennis came running over to me.
"Why don't you go play with the kids?" I whisper to him.
He shakes his head, and grabs his drink to take a sip.
That's when I get a text.

Mom:
Time to head home.
I'm going to need that sour cream.

Aven:
Okay.
Heading home now.

"Okay," I whisper to Dennis. "Let's go."
That's when the guy gets up and starts to walk back to his house.
"Come on, Jake. Get your sister and let's go." He says.
They start to walk away, along with Dennis behind them. "Come on, let's go!"
"Dennis," I scolded. "Come here!"
He comes back. "We're supposed to be leaving."
"I know, but you can't leave me like that. You know Mom's rule." I reply, handing Dennis the bag with the sour cream and his soda.
We started walking, slowly at first, but then we started walking faster.
"Why are we walking so fast?" Dennis whined.
"Because we have to get home as fast as we can." I lied to him. Truth is, I didn't want to be close to that guy anymore. He made me feel weird, and I don't know what to think of it. I didn't know it was a good or bad thing to feel nervous, self-conscious, and feel sick whenever around someone. I've never had that feeling with anyone before, so I just wanted to get home.