Chapter 2 ~ Trolls

Third person POV

Third person POV

The thought that his best friend would intentionally get him out never crossed Ishan's mind until now. He had opened his social media to post for his best friend.

"Such a selfish person, he got his best friend out just so that he can steal the limelight!" Someone had commented on one of the Indian cricket team's posts.

"Can't he see others succeeding?!" Ishan read as he scrolled down further.

He opened Shubman's Instagram and saw the comments under his post.

"Shubman got Ishan out yesterday intentionally, didn't he?"

"It was all his fault."

"Always playing for his own records!"

"How selfish and jealous someone can be?!"

Thousands of people were liking those shitty comments.

Really? Selfish and his best friend? He's far from it.

Shubman can never get him out intentionally for his own personal records. He will never.

He put his phone aside, totally forgetting that he had to post for Shubman.

They were going to leave for the practice session in a few hours. He reached the hotel's dining area after freshening up.

Everyone was already present there, Including Shubman.

"Hey, Shub!" Ishan called out to him.

Shubman, looking a little gloomy, glanced up at him. "What is it, Ishan?" He replied curtly, not in the mood to talk.

Ishan raised an eyebrow, taken aback by Shubman's tone. "Well... You look like someone stole your favourite toy?" Ishan questioned, teasingly.

Shubman muttered something under his breath, barely audible.

Ishan leaned closer, concerned. "What's going on, Shub? Everything good?"

Shubman just played with his food instead of answering. "It's nothing, just forget it."

Ishan insisted, "C'mon, You can tell me anything." He winked playfully.

Shubman's frustration increased, and he snapped, "I said it's nothing, Ishan. Just drop it, okay?"

Ishan fell silent, finally realizing that his best friend wasn't in the mood to talk.

—A few hours ago—

I was about to place my phone on the table as I prepared to leave for breakfast, but just then, my phone rang

I was about to place my phone on the table as I prepared to leave for breakfast, but just then, my phone rang. The caller ID read "Baba."

I sighed, reluctantly answering the call. "Hey, Baba, Kaise Ho?"

"I'm fine, how are you?" What's all the seriousness about?

"I'm good," I replied, trying to sound cheerful. "Did you saw the match last night?" I was eager to hear some appreciation from him.

"Yes, I did," He replied, acknowledging the match. "We'll talk about it later. For now, I told your mother to discuss something important with you about your marriage, and she did. But... your response didn't meet our expectations." His voice was firm.

Irritation washed over me. I knew what was coming. "Baba, please," I started, desperation clear in my voice. "I really don't want to get married right now. I'm only 23, and all of this is too much. I need to focus on my cricket career. Besides, I don't have anyone in mind at the moment." I was struggling to hold back my frustration. Why couldn't they understand a simple thing?

"Shubman, I'm giving you a few more days to think about it. And I want you to say yes. Trust me, it's for your own good."

I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. "Okay, i'll think about it." I finally agreed, not really though. I just wanted to close this topic for a while. He disconnected the call.

My marriage. They wanted me to get married. The problem was, I didn't want to. My first priority right now is; Cricket. I am not ready for another responsibility.

That was what my mum was talking to me about before the match yesterday. I had clearly told her to drop the topic and that I wouldn't change my decision but that just seemed to be deaf to her ears.

Why do they suddenly want me to get married?

I shook my head, leaving for breakfast.