Chapter 9 ~ Lost Connections

"Are you still mad at me, Ishan?" Shubman asked for the umpteenth time as we exited the ground after the exhausting practice session

With a sigh, I replied, "No, Shubi, I'm not." I wasn't lying. I was genuinely not mad at him.

"But..."

"Shubi, stop overthinking it. I'm not mad," I assured him, trying to ease the visible worry on his face.

It's endearing that he cares about whether I'm upset, but he shouldn't overthink things like that every time. Things happen, and I'm his best friend; I shouldn't hold grudges, Right? Right.

Besides, tomorrow is the match day. I don't want him to focus on anything other than his performance. He's in excellent form, and he needs to perform well.

"Now, let's go, shall we?" I suggested, and he nodded in agreement.

As we walked, I couldn't help but wonder what was going on in Shubman's mind.

"Even though you aren't mad at me, I'm sorry for my behaviour that day. I was so rude-" He began, His voice tinged with guilt and sincerity.

"Dude, Cut the formality, will you? Is that how you act with your best friend? I told ya it's fine, no biggie!" I interrupted with a light whack on his shoulder, causing him to wince theatrically. Dramatic much?

"I was just apologizing for my-"

"Okay, keep apologizing to the wall. I'm going. Ba-bye!" I rolled my eyes, quickened my pace, and headed towards the bus, leaving him behind.

"Ish!" Shubman yelled as he caught up with me. "Kya hai?!" I asked, acting annoyed.

"You're cute when you're angry," he mumbled, almost to himself.

"I always am," I winked, smirking a little as I flicked his forehead.

"Ouch! Stop hitting me, dumbhead!" Shubman looked irritated, making me laugh as I ignored his protests.

Cute.

As Shubman was about to speak, he abruptly halted when one of our staff members approached.

"Sir, Here's your phone. Someone is calling you repeatedly." The staff informed.

"Oh, okay. I'll check." Shubman replied, opening his phone, which promptly rang again.

"Who is it? Anything serious?" I asked, little concerned.

"Nah, It's just Rachin." He answered, A smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

What was there to smile about?

I hummed in response. We got on the bus, and settled into our usual seats at the back.

Shubman switched off his phone and turned to me, a peculiar habit of his.
Wouldn't he call back his friend?

"You should call him back" I suggested and he frowned. "Uh, No, I will, later."