Chapter 1

My name is J2384 and I am an Elite, but most people refer to me as Jay. I was born into a system that was designed to protect the greater good and make the world a happier place. At least that's the motto around here. I was designed to create a better environment and help with bettering society. My mission was to succeed in anything I came across, which was always easy for me, until H4 came around.

@@@@@

"Morning Jay." I heard Ralph casually say from his desk. I responded with a slight nod as I made my way to my office. I greeted other agents as I pushed open the doors in front of me. Amanda was waiting for me with a large stack of papers and folders.

As she raised her eyebrows and looked at me with high hopes, I held up my hand and proceeded into my office. The door was colder than I remember and I stopped when I noticed someone had been in here. Amanda followed me into the front part of my office and looked around with me.

"Amanda," I whispered loudly enough for her to hear, "who has been in here?" I looked around and noticed my papers on my desk had been shuffled.
"The director. You had a conference with him at 2 but you told me to cancel." She said sweetly as she plopped the papers on my desk.
"The director was my 2 o'clock appointment?" I practically yell in her face and run back out into the lobby. I find Ralph and tell him to contact the director's office immediately before I have a heart attack. He nods quickly and dials the number.

"Hello this is Ms. Desmond's office. Does the director have a few minutes?" Ralph asks politely followed by a few hums and nods. He points his pencil to the door and looks at me wide eyed. What is he doing? He hangs up the phone and stands.

"The director is coming upstairs." I look at the door and fix my already wrinkled dress. Ralph fixes his tie and stands straight just as the doors open to reveal the director in a charcoal grey suit and red tie. He's holding a briefcase and an equalizer. I smile and stride towards him. He smiles back and begins coming towards me, his black shoes chirping as they hit the hard cement floor.

"Good afternoon, Jay." He smirks and comes up to hug me.
"Hi dad." I wrap my arms around him and grab the briefcase from his hand. He wraps an arm around my waist and nods to all my assistants as we head towards my office.

As we step inside he plops down on one of the chairs in front of my desk. He places the equalizer on my desk and watches me as I take my seat at my desk.
"How are you, dear?" He asks warmly.
"I'm sorry about our meeting. Amanda didn't tell me-"
"It's fine, Jay. I forgot to grab this anyway," his hand gently grazing the metal object in front of him. He pushes the purple button on the top and my office erupts in a display of holographic lights. Amanda enters the room holding two coffees and places them on my desk. She smiles at my father and shuts off the lights as she exits.

"We have a new assignment for you."

Just the words I wanted to hear. I love assignments because I can get out of these formal clothes and do something with my life. Plus we get to use the latest technologies in spy gear.

"Finally." I huff and sit back in my chair. The pixels around my room turn to a pale white and a body begins to appear on my desk.
My father gives me a wary look and says, "this is a class U mission, grade A."

Translation: undercover. My favorite.

"I think you'll be able to handle this. Just don't let the mission be compromised like last time." He sighs.
"Hey! How was I supposed to know Johnson would pull off my wig while we were in the car together?" I cross my arms and laugh at my father's blank expression. He shakes his head and continues, "you'll be flying to the States and staying in a small mountain town in the south eastern region. You'll be assigned a cabin and target you must "take out"...or whatever you young agents say these days."

The light show continues with a display of a mountain range and cabins along the mountain side. Dad moves his hand through the hologram and the colors change to a bright green.
"You'll be assigned a partner," I groan as he says this but he continues, "when you get down to HQ."
"Do I really need one? I think I'll be able to handle this on my own father." I lean in close to the equalizer' slight source and gaze upon the bright lights.
"Yes, Jay. You'll need a partner. Deal with it." He changes the scene and I jump back in my seat.

"Once you get down to HQ, Peter will give you everything you'll need." My father stands and the equalizer turns off, the room suddenly becoming very dark. I reach for my desk lamp and turn it on. Before I know it dad is next to me and gives me a big hug.
"You'll be certain to ring me when you get there. Be careful, love." He squeezes me tightly and his mustache tickles my neck like it usually does when he hugs me.

"Of course. I'll be sure to tell Peter to let you know I took off safely too. You know I'm a class B pilot now?" I brag to my overly protective father.
"Class B is not class A which means I am not letting you fly yourself across the Atlantic Ocean."
"But dad!" I whine but he holds up his hand and I sigh in defeat.

"Get down to HQ immediately."
"I don't even know what my objective is for this mission." I make the sudden realization and follow my father out of my office. Amanda stands behind her desk as we exit and sits back down when we pass her.

"Peter will tell you everything. Now get your things and get down as soon as possible. You'll need to be in America by Tuesday. I've left instructions for you with Peter." I walk with my arm around dad to the elevator and push the button. There's a silence between us but the elevator dings just before it can get awkward. I watch as he steps in and fixes his posture.
"Bye Jay."
"See you later dad."

The elevator closes and I turn to Ralph who is biting into a sandwich.
"Cancel all of my appointments for the next two weeks. I'm going to America."