Prologue

"'By the end, the transformed Grinch goes so mushy that he utters a profound apology to the citizens of Whoville for his past wicked ways. "I'm so very sorry for everything," he says as he returns all the toys and decorations he has stolen to ruin their celebration.'
The End." You announced with a fake cheerful smile on your face.

"End of another classical masterpiece. You know the Grinch reminds me of someone I know." Bob said while looking at the other elderly folks present in the room.

"Really? Reminds you of who?" You asked, a little curious yourself.

"You ofcourse." He said and started laughing along with the others.
However, you couldn't find anything funny in that statement, and it was visible on your face.

"Sorry Maria. Couldn't help it. Since the time we've known you, you have been such a spoilsport, that I had to say this." Bob said in between his laughter.

"Guys I know I'm not the ideal person to be around during this holiday season but I always try to sound cheerful through these storytelling sessions. Don't I?" You tried defending yourself. But you weren't fooling anyone and it was clear from the look of pity you saw on their faces.

"Ok fine. Maybe I am like the Grinch. I don't see why I have to believe in the magic of Christmas. There is nothing magical in my life."

"Maybe because you haven't given it a chance."  Said Mrs. Andrews.

"No offence Maria but you've been despising this season so much and it spoils the spirit of others around you too. Maybe it's time you actually start seeing the magic and joy of Christmas." Carla said with a look of sympathy.

"Fine. But only because you asked nicely." You said sighing and giving her a genuine smile, which she returns with her own.

"Miss Snow. Your shift is over." The receptionist announced from the door.

"And that's my cue to leave. Wish you all a Merry Christmas. I hope you enjoy your holidays." You said while giving a hug to all the members of the old age home. All of them wished you the same and started chatting among themselves. Lastly you hugged an elderly woman who stood near the door.

"I wish you the same sweetheart and I wish you start believing. Don't get too attached and just enjoy the ride." She mumbled in your ear. You didn't understand what she meant by it, but before you could question her she went towards the others. Now that you think about it you haven't seen her before. Maybe she was new, you shrugged the thought away and went to grab your coat and car keys.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Christmas was a joyful season for everyone but you've always thought that cheerfulness as overrated and sometimes fake. It's just another way of people showing off that they can be happy at any point in their life, exchanging gifts with your family and friends, you talk shit about the whole year, is just another way showing off how rich and kind hearted they are. Because of your beliefs you've always been called a Grinch, a spoilsport, a party pooper. You were quite used to it now.

Nothing surprises you in this season, life has always been monotonous and unchanging for you, an aspiring writer and a part time storyteller at an old age home. Not much, but it pays the bills and brings food on your table.

Why you despise Christmas so much is another story, maybe because you don't have anyone to spend it with, maybe, but you'll never admit it infront of anyone, especially not your grandmother whom you love so much, she's your only family left after your parents died in a car crash.

You slept with these thoughts still lingering on your mind, not minding the star twinkling so brightly on your Christmas tree placed in the living room of your apartment.