Chapter 7 - The Usual Suspects

In a police station, a cop named Sheridan enters an interrogation room; the prisoner was not visible. He sat down.

"Well, first I thought you were just stepping up your game. Credit card fraud, breaking and entering, and this one... puzzled me. Grave desecration. But still these are a long way from murder. Then we get a fax from St. Louis. Where you're suspected of torturing and murdering a young woman. However, no one could prove anything, of course, because supposedly you died there." Sheridan said.

At a motel, The SWAT team broke open a 2nd-floor door with a battering ram; inside, Sam stopped, holding his hands up and I sat up on the bed and put my hands up.

"But I gotta tell you something. You look pretty healthy to me." Sheridan said.

A cop named Diana Ballard advanced on Sam and I, her gun forward.

"So now we know Karen Giles wasn't the first person you murdered." Sheridan said.

"Going somewhere, Sam, Ali?" Diana asked. I kept a stoic face.

"But I guarantee you she's the last." Sheridan said. He stood and walked out; The prisoner was Dean.

Diana entered another interrogation room, where Sam was pacing by the window. She placed a coffee cup on the table.

"Thought you might be thirsty." Diana said.

"Okay, so you're the good cop. Where's the bad cop?" Sam asked.

"Oh, he's with your brother." Diana said.

"Okay. And you're holding us, why?" Sam asked.

"Well, he's being held on suspicion of murder. And you, we'll see. Ali, we have some other questions for her." Diana said.

"For what?" Sam asked.

"Her parents and another man were found dead, she was nowhere to be found, we thought she was dead, but here she is, alive and well with Dean and you." Diana said. Sam leaned forward, shocked.

"Murder?!" Sam asked.

"You sound genuinely surprised. Or are you that good of an actor?" Diana said.

"Who was he supposed to have murdered?!" Sam asked.

"We'll get around to that." Diana said.

"Well, you can't just hold us here without formal charges!" Sam said.

"Well actually, we can, for forty eight hours, but you being a pre-law student, would know that. I know all about you, Sam." Diana said and she started reading from a file. "You're twenty three years old, no job, no home address. Your mother died when you were a baby, your father's whereabouts are unknown. And then there's the case of your brother Dean. Whose demise was, well, just a little bit exaggerated. Feel free to jump in whenever you like." Sam leaned against the wall, folding his arms.

"Shy? No problem. I'll keep going. Your family moved around a lot when you were a kid. Despite that, you were a straight-A student. Got into Stanford with a full ride. Then about a year ago there was a fire in your apartment. One fatality. Jessica Moore, your girlfriend. After she died, you fell off the grid. Left behind everything." Diana said.

"I needed some time off. To deal. So I'm taking a road trip with my brother and Ali." Sam said.

"How's that going for you?" Diana asked.

"Great. I mean... we saw the second largest ball of twine in the continental US. Awesome." Sam said and he pulled a chair up to the table and straddled it.

"We ran Dean's fingerprints through AFIS." Diana said.

"Okay." Sam said.

"Got over a dozen possible hits." Diana said.