CHAPTER 23 | Welcome to Diagon Alley

[Author's Note]

-•-❈-•-

The moment I stepped into the common room, coming down the enchanted stairs that led to the girls' dormitory, Sebastian's eyebrows rose up.

"Oh, now I feel underdressed", he taunted, sliding a hand through his hair and messing up the curls. Sebastian was dressed for the snowy weather, naturally - a dark grey woollen coat, thick and structured, his trousers a darkish blue, the same tone as the broadcloth vest underneath it, though this piece was chequered, mixed in with a few black and brown tones. There was also a cashmere scarf wrapped around his neck I recognised as being one Ominis had gifted him earlier this year. He stood next to the merpeople's stone fountain, near the exit of the common room, both arms crossed over his chest despite the cheeky smirk he offered me. "Should have warned me you planned on dressing so... sophisticated."

I looked down at myself, my lips parted in a mixture of embarrassment and content. It would be a lie to say I had not tried to look fancy, I had done just that. I had picked out my best garments for our trip - a capelet styled coat with a bronze-coloured ribbon on the neckline, complimenting its navy fabric and delicate cut, alongside a pair of mostly-unused leather boots, and some dainty and golden family jewellery. Under the coat, I wore an even fancier dress, full of hand-sewn flowery details and intricate lining, and I was oddly thankful Sebastian couldn't see it. I had even added a petticoat to it, which made the skirt shape much more defined.

"I apologise", I laughed sheepishly, holding onto my trusted and worn-out satchel, the one item I couldn't let go off despite the occasion. "I figured since it's London... Doesn't every wizard and witch dress fancy in London?"

Sebastian chuckled, and I realised in that moment I must have sounded like the hamlet folk from Feldcroft, putting on my best attire for such a simple trip. To be fair, I had not gone out much in the last two years. Even more, I hadn't been this excited about going out for even longer than that. Everything about this trip stirred my nerves, and I couldn't stop thinking about it since Sebastian had suggested it early in the morning. I had ran to my dormitory so fast to pack my luggage, I had ended up leaving all the planning in his responsibility - from sending an owl to Ominis, asking him to meet us later in the evening on The Leaky Cauldron, an apparently very well-known and popular pub and inn in Diagon Alley, to planning the entire day ahead, even suggesting an approach on asking to visit the Gaunt Manor. In any way, I trusted him with those decisions.

As I approached Sebastian, he swinged his wand and my small travelling trunk floated in the air and made its way towards his own. With his other hand, he reached for my face, tugging a loose strand of hair behind my ear, his thumb resting under it for a minute after he was done. Sebastian towered over me, and I had to tilt my chin completely up to meet his eyes, always so perfectly framed by those dark eyelashes of his. There was a short but solemn moment as we looked at each other, allowing ourselves to feel hopeful once again. It was oddly reminiscent of our fifth-year too, the many times we had escaped the castle together towards another adventure, our hearts always so full of expectation and enthusiasm despite the unfortunate circumstances.

"I think you'll fit right into London, El", he said at last. His fingers slid down my neck and shoulders, until they stopped near my elbows. He turned his palm up, politely glancing at his hand and offering for me to take it. "Shall we?"

"Lead the way."

We walked up the spiral stone stair, leaving the gentle sound of dripping water and the moody ambiance of the Slytherin common room behind us, our luggage floating at our heels as we strolled along the castle hallways in response to Sebastian's spell. After we had decided we would apparate to London - or rather, me being too excited to even consider any other form of transportation -, we had been faced with the fact that apparition within Hogwarts Grounds was strictly prohibited. I have even questioned it, knowing we had been always eager to break a rule or two from time to time, but Sebastian had assured me there was an anti-apparition enchantment placed around the entire school, and we wouldn't be able to do it even if we tried. So, begroundly, we made our way to the entrance gates in calm steps, mindlessly musing about our plans for the evening.