Chapter 6: Mission complete

POV: 3rd person
Location: White Tower

Two ebony katanas swung down at lightning speeds.

The end, it seemed, would be imminent.

Dense magical energy crackled in the the air.

There would be no escaping something like this.

When suddenly.

Fractions of a distance before the attack would connect.

The blades halted.

Something silvery stood in the way.

*Crash*

Suddenly, the walls are violently ripped inward as if orchestrated by an unseen force.

Vados takes a step back to avoid the explosion but by this point the foundations of the building were starting to give away.

The tower leans dangerously to the side as both Yukime and the numbers are send falling through 2 levels of collapsing floor. The sky quakes with every second passing as debris and rubble cascade down the sides of the walls. If given any moment, the tower would fall.

But then something flashes in the darkness.

Something latches on to the framework of the building and the tower begins to stabilise. The rumbling subsides and the decent was brought to an abrupt halt.

Layers of steel thread encase the structure from every angle.

A net had been formed. Before any could even perceive, the tower lay suspended amongst the sea of metal wires.

The destruction which had seemed so imminent moments before had ceased.

Vados who had witnessed the whole event, realised that something was strange here. The movement of the wires seemed too perfect, so precise that someone had to be there manipulating things from the shadows. And if there was, they had to be nearby.

His blow just before had been halted by a single strand, the mysterious presence had protected Yukime, meaning who ever it was, they were to be destroyed.

"Who is there?" A question he askes into the darkness, and it was from the darkness that came a response.

Razor thin threads of metal surge forward. He takes a step back to avoid the onslaught but the wires seemed to dance around his movements and create a never ending barrage of attacks. Weaving in and out, he barely manages to evade the fatal traps but no matter the speed he moved, the wires followed his actions flawlessly. That's when he realised that this whole area had been surrounded from the start.

He could not dodge forever, the threads encircle their target in a deadly spin and rush forwards in all directions.

His magic power explodes in a brilliant flash of light. He draws out his swords and forcefully slashes out against the wall of steel.

A series of metallic clangs ring out and the movements of the wires falter against the intense blow.

The steel threads shift slightly and form a flurry of strikes in a dance of calculated precision. The two sides engage once more in a clash of metal upon metal which obliterates the environment surrounding them.