Chapter 4: Deep Dark Scary Woods

"Hi grandpa!" I say. Mom had dropped us all off and left without wanting to come in and say hi to grandpa which I thought was weird but maybe she was just busy and needed to get home.

"Hello hello my lovely grandchildren!" He says and giving me and Max a hug. "And who are these guests."

"These are my friends." I say.

"Sup. I'm Tori."
"Maddie!" Maddie smiles and waves.
"Payton." She says nervously.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He smiles.

"We're just gonna go hang out outside." I say.

"Fine by me. Just stay out of the woods please."

"No problem." I say.

We go out to the backyard and for the first time since Addy disappeared I'm standing face to face with those deep, dark, scary woods.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Tori says. "Let's do this."

"Do what?" Max walks over to us.

"What are you doing here!?" I groan. "Go back inside and leave me and my friends alone."

"Look I'm not an idiot." He says, although that statement is questionable. "I know what you're doing. You're gonna go into the woods. Can't I come with you?"

"No." I say.

"I'll tell Mom you went into the woods." He says. "And besides even if I don't tell her and she finds out, she's be a lot happier knowing you're very responsible older brother was there with you."

"You? Responsible?" I laugh.

"Just please let me come!" He groans.

"Why would you want to come with us?" Maddie asks.

"Is your friend missing too?" Payton says.

"No. It's just Grandpa is so boring." He groans. "He wanted to talk about school!"

"Oh no, not school! We're all gonna die!" I say sarcastically.

"I know right!" He says. "Paige, please just let me come with you. I can help you all look for your friends. Anything to avoid talking about school."

"And you promise you won't tell Mom?"

"Sibling swear." He says. He really means it, we made that up when we were much younger and it was far bigger than a pinky promise. He hasn't done one of those in years, but it's against sibling code to break a sibling swear.

"Alright, fine. You can come." I agree.

"Okay, so now what are we waiting for? Let's go!" Maddie says. Without a second thought, we take a step into the woods. As soon as we do, everything changes.

Behind us instead of Grandpa's back yard is just more woods.

"Guys? How are we already so deep in the woods if we literally took two steps in?" Maddie says. "It's physically impossible."

"You owe my thirty bucks." I whisper to Max. I knew something was up about these woods.

"This explains why they went missing." Tori says. "They must've gotten lost."

"But how did the cops and search parties get out?" I wonder out loud.

"Maybe the woods doesn't transform for adults?" Payton says.

Suddenly we hear a twig snap.

"What was that?" Tori asks.

"One of you probably just stepped on a stick." Max says.

"None of us moved." Maddie says.

"Well neither did I." Max says.

Before I can even think, everything goes black.

Sorry this one's a little short. I thought about combining it with the next chapter but if I keep combining chapters my 30+ chapter book will soon become a 10 chapter book and I don't really want to do that so some chapters will just be a little short.

Thanks for reading, I hope you've been enjoying. Have a great day/night, take care 💜