Chapter 1

Patrolling the walls of base four at the border between the Poural and Draenad kingdoms, which had been at odds for over fifty years before finally signing a peace treaty four years ago, the soldiers in the four watch towers did their duty as usual until a mass explosion broke out in the four towers all at the same time.

Startled by the sudden explosions, the soldiers within the base rushed to the four towers to assess the situation, but before they could, their enemy took advantage of the chaos to start killing mindlessly at a speed no one could catch him.

At the military headquarters in the capital of the Poural kingdom shortly after the attack.

"General Grant!" called Lieutenant General Francis Hayes, getting his attention. "there's been another attack at base four this time."

General Grant slammed his hands down on his desk and stood. "When!?" he asked, his tone urgent and commanding.

"This morning," replied Lieutenant General Hayes.

General Grant sighed and sat again. "That makes four bases attacked in just two weeks," he said, contemplating. "has the clean-up team found anything that could help us identify the attacker?" he then asked, looking at Lieutenant General Francis Hayes again.

"Not yet, sir."

General Grant stood. "Then we'll be going there then," he said as he left.

"Yes, sir!" replied Lieutenant General Hayes as he followed.

Heading down to base four, both men were welcomed by the Captain in charge of the base.

"Did anyone see anything that could be useful?" asked General Grant as they walked among the debris.

"Not really, sir," replied the captain of base four. "the four watch towers just exploded at once in the blink of an eye, and the enemy took advantage of the chaos to start killing randomly before vanishing," he explained. "the only thing we managed to spot was that he was wearing a black cloak, and he was wearing a special unit mask."

"'Special unit mask'?" repeated General Grant, surprised. "So he's one of us?" he asked, alarmed.

"Possibly, sir," replied the Captain of base four. "all we know for sure right now is that he has a highly powerful fire ability."

"How so?" asked General Grant.

"Well, he managed to blow up four towers without using much magic power at all," replied the Captain of base four. "our clean-up team was barely able to notice that there were traces of an ability being used left behind."

General Grant considered this a single person truly capable of this coming to mind. "So he's skilled," he mumbled, thinking privately that this person was indeed very skilled.

Being born with an ability wasn't rare, and during the war, abilities came in handy to change the tides of the war, but a lot of the time, not many who possessed an ability evolved this much.

Only a few lucky people managed to train their abilities to a superior level. Otherwise, everyone else was just at a standard level that allowed them to use their abilities comfortably enough to defend themselves and others.

So this was done by one of the few people he could name capable of this, and for now, he would put the main person he was thinking of at the back of his mind.

It just couldn't be him.

"Yes, it would seem so," said the Captain of base four.

"Very well," he simply replied, turning to Lieutenant General Hayes, who had said nothing this entire time and simply stood aside like a good subordinate. "we're returning to headquarters."